Thursday, May 23, 2013

Everything Begins.

I just noticed that my last post was from last Sunday.  I have no idea where the time goes.

On Sunday I was in Rochester.  The short version of the last week is that I flew from Rochester to Charlotte on Tuesday and drove the rest of the way back to Charleston yesterday.  So, long story short - I'm home.  I've been home for a bit over a day now for the first time in a couple of weeks.  It's nice.

In life - things rarely last.  I'd say that they never last, except for my general life outlook to never say never.  In this case, my stay here at home will last a few more days.  Then things get complicated.  Again.

I've said for a while now that my relationship with Charleston is a story of unrequited love.  My career opportunities in the specialty that has allowed me to do the many things I do in life here, in this city, are limited.  I continue to contract mainly because it provides the opportunity to get back here. Thus, my yucky weekly commutes back and forth to Raleigh for 6 months.

I've known that reality for a long time, but another of my life outlooks is that if you want something bad enough you'll do what you need to do to realize them.  That's just the way life works.  I really have no formal "thing" keeping me here except, of course, the deep-seated commitment that I've made to my home here.  It is a relationship I intend to remain true to.

That said - Unless something unexpected happens I've accepted another contract and am scheduled to begin it next week.  It's not here in Charleston.  For that matter, it's not even in the same time zone.  It's extraordinary, and very exciting.  There are reasons that more specifics aren't important right now.  The only reason I mention it at all is that it'll probably be important to know that to understand some of what happens over the next few weeks.

On other topics, I went to my hairdresser yesterday and got 3 or 4 inches cut off the bottom of my hair.  I seem to wear it up 80% or more of the time - whether in a ponytail or a clip - because it's just plain hot to wear it down.  Generally speaking I like my "look" with a little shorter hair and now I've got it.

I went to the MAC store today.  They're good friends now, and the MAC Summer collection came out this morning.  We "played" for a little while....it was good fun.  There was a time when the thought doing something like that was like yearning for forbidden fruit.  Now, it's just fun.

I went to see Star Trek in IMAX 3D with my brother-in-law while I was in Rochester.  I enjoyed it very much....

Leaving Rochester was difficult.  It always is.  I had a wonderful time with family, friends, spending some time with old neighbors and visiting places that have some level of significance to me.  The dinner on Saturday night was great, too.

Now that I'm back home I've got a long list of things to do before I have to leave again.  I spent today working through the list....crossed a number of things off.  I fear that there's more to do than time to do it over the next few days.  Especially given that it's a Holiday weekend, it's supposed to be nice outside, and I'm hoping to use the time wisely.  But, as I said at the outset....everything ends.  And, everything begins.

Both will happen on Monday.  Whatever gets done before then will be done.  Whatever doesn't...well...it will just have to wait.

But right now, one chapter is winding down and another is getting ready to begin.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.


No comments: