Sunday, November 24, 2013

Stop This Train

I've felt pretty crummy for most of the week.  I don't know if it was the diving, the crazy schedule, the airplane, or what.  But my lungs got full of yucky, phlegmy stuff and I just felt bad.  As I've mentioned in the past, I don't own a thermometer and don't think I had a fever.  But that doesn't change the fact that something is still draggin' me down.

Yesterday was the best day since Monday.  I went to see John Mayer in Lincoln Friday night.  Lincoln is about 60 miles from here.  He's one of the people I've wanted to see for quite a while and he didn't disappoint.  If anything, the disappointment comes from the fact that I like so many of his songs that he didn't play a half dozen or more that I would have loved to have seen.  I suppose the secret of performing is to leave people wanting more.  Well, he succeeded.


I've got a ticket to see him in Charleston next month, too.  :)

Winter has arrived in Nebraska.  An arctic blast caused temperatures to drop from 50+ degrees on Wednesday to the 20's on Thursday to single-digits these last two mornings.  Rain turned to sleet turned to blowing snow.  Thankfully, there was only a couple of inches of it but there's no mistaking it....winter is here.  I've been staying warm - I HATE being cold.

My schedule gets as crazed again over the next several weeks.  On Wednesday I'll be hitting the roads (along with 45 million other drivers) to spend Thanksgiving with mom (~650 miles).  I'll head back later Saturday or Sunday.   I'm praying for good driving weather (both ways) and sane roads.  

The following weekend I'm scheduled to be in Phoenix.  I haven't been there since early May and have been missing dear friends there.

The weekend after that I'd like to go to Boulder see my son - his 28th birthday is coming just before Christmas.

Over Christmas I'd like to be back in Charleston.  In mid-January I'm scheduled to take a training in Phoenix.  And on and on it goes...

That said - things rarely go as planned in my world, so I reserve the right to change any and all of this should situations warrant.  I implied a few posts ago that change might be in the air.  That's still true.  Did I mention - I don't like being cold?!

One of my pups has given indications that he's got something funky going on in one or both of his ears.  I took him to the vet yesterday....turns out he's got a yeast infection in both ears.  He's on the road to recovery....

Lots to be Thankful for this week.  I take it very seriously....it's easy to forget as the speed of life increases.

I'll end this with a clip that someone posted online from the John Mayer concert in Lincoln Friday night.  As one point his band went offstage and he sang a couple of acoustic songs.  One of them was "Stop this Train".

Stop this train.
I want to get off and go home again.
I can't take the speed it's moving in
I know I can
But honestly, won't someone stop this train....


Amen....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay. The most significant item in this entry has got to be your son turning 28. My oldest just turned 18, and I'm not sure I've recovered from that yet -- 5 months later. And I've got a couple of years on you.

I don't know how I'm going to be when MY son turns 28!

F. J.