Sometimes, life cicrumstances force you to be creative.
I'm already on Plans C, D, and E to get back home to Charleston. This winter storm that has thrown DFW, and the southeast in general, into a slippery slidey chilly mess has already forced me to delay the return trip by a day. But following it east (and potentially catching up with it) or getting hit by the next batch (DFW already has a Winter Storm Watch for tonight - possibility of an additional 1-4 inches of snow) are both are concerns that need to be considered.
The most direct route back is the route I took - along I-20 thru Atlanta, Birmingham, and Shreveport. But the farther north I go, the more likely I am to have weather issues. So, I'm planning to head east to Shreveport and then detour south to I-10 which goes through Mobile, New Orleans, Pensicola, Tallahassee, and Jacksonville. It adds a couple hundred miles to the trip but is the safer option. I'm also going to take my time and plan to do the 1300+ miles in 3 days instead of 2 - on top of everything else I need to balance doing work into all of this.
As I type this I've got the Weather Channel on in the background. They just mentioned that they've closed I20 west of Atlanta....I'm relieved that I'm not heading back into that mess.
I went out for a bit yesterday afternoon and the entire area was like a ghost town. Nobody was out on the roads. The mall parking lot was empty. It was pretty remarkable.
So - if all goes as planned I'll be in Baton Rouge tonight. The window of opportunity is fairly short - otherwise I'll be here for another couple of days. Keep your fingers crossed.