Friday, August 16, 2013

Fried-day

I'm thrilled it's Friday.  Or, Fried-day.  I'm pooped.  I got home at mid-night last night from my quick trip to San Francisco and ended up falling asleep on my couch.  I've been foggy for most of the day, got home from work today, and....ended up falling asleep for an hour on the couch.

Smoke from forest fires made for some eerie skies flying thru SLC
My quick trip to San Francisco was to do workplace training to support an employee who will be transitioning there next week.  It's the second time I've done one of these for this particular company.  It went very well....3 sessions.  I felt fine while it was all happening, but the combination of go-go-go apparently caught up with me today.

I don't usually get this tired.  As in...never.  Honestly, I don't know the last time I came home from work and took a nap.  If I didn't know better (and I don't know that I don't) I'd think I was coming down with something - I know me and something's "off".  I was so cold at work today that I came home and got into warmer clothes.  I hope I'm wrong, and all I need is some rest.  Regardless, I'll be keeping my suitcase handy as I'll need it again next at the end of next week.

I've done dozens of these workplace sessions over the years and I continue to enjoy them.  I'd do one every month if I could....I don't actively seek them out but I'm glad they find me.  I know from experience that they have value beyond simply facilitating a particular transition.

I also enjoy the opportunity to meet the people I've gotten to know over the years who are near the beginning of their journey - many become friends I stay with whom I stay in touch.  It's truly an honor to be part of their journey at this key point in their lives.  On this particular trip I had dinner when I arrived with the person I first met when came here to do a similar event the week after my 50th birthday in 2009.  She has come a long way.  The last time I saw her she came to visit me when I was recovering from some jaw surgery a couple of years ago...a kindness I still appreciate to this day.

On another topic - One thing I've been wanting to mention.  Several months ago I started taking biotin as part of my morning ritual.  It allegedly strengthens hair and nails, and I've been wanting to protect my hair from breaking.  I get it from Costco, and never expected to notice any indication that it was working or not.  I was happily surprised to learn otherwise.

I realize this sounds like some kind of commercial or something, but I can absolutely feel the difference in my hair - thicker and stronger.  And although I've never been able to maintain long nails (well...they're not long compared to others I know but they're long for me) my nails have been really nice for weeks.

Since I'll be here this weekend I've got another list.  Laundry, cleaning, perhaps seeing Peter Frampton tomorrow night, out for dinner on Sunday.

I think I'm going to get myself a mattress, too.  I've been sleeping on an air mattress ever since I arrived here in early June and that's getting old.  It's the only piece of "furniture" I need, and although it's comfortable enough it's hard to say I'm looking forward to sleeping in my own bed when my own bed is full of air.  I've got a mattress in my storage unit but that's not doing me any good here.  So...it's time to make myself a little more at home.  I've had a queen mattress for most of my adult life...it gives me enough room to spread out.

And rest.  I need to rest.  In fact, I'm headed to bed for some in just a few minutes.  Gnight.


No comments: