Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Fun in the Sun

I'm  a little toasty this morning.  Most of the weekend on the water or on the beach.  It was one of those ocean-centric weekends that reminds me why I loves being in the Lowcountry.

We had several adventures.  One of the most notable was that we took the boat out past the jetties into international waters.  It was a calm day, but the swells were still 3-5 feet - it's really cool when they roll you up and down, up and down.  Surreal, actually.

Half the time was anchored close to shore so the kids could fish, swim, and do what most teenage boys like to do - watch girls.  The kids caught several baby sharks - a foot long or less - and of course they let those go.  But it was an absolutely perfect weekend to be on the water (other than the typical late day monsoonal thunder storm that typically rolls thru).



Speaking of sharks - We stopped and were getting ready to jump in for a swim (in 60' seas) when one of those things you see in the movies happened in real life.  Right near the boat, maybe 20 yards away or so, was a single fin cutting through the water.  At first we thought perhaps it was a dolphin - we had seen lots of those on the way out.  But the more we watched the more it became apparent that no, this wasn't a dolphin.  It was a shark. We joked afterward that if we had been in the water and someone on the boat had seen it we wouldn't have believed them.  Needless to say, none of us got in the water.  :)

I did a pretty good job of protecting myself from the sun but one area on me is still crispy.  It's my lower lip, of all things.  Go figure.  Anyway - it was a wonderful weekend.  I'm enjoying it while I can, because life is about to pick up speed.

I'm heading into a stretch of life the likes of which I haven't experienced for a while.  I suppose I've been enjoying the lull, and now it's time to storm.

  • This coming week I've got Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Education all day Saturday and Sunday, and 3 hours on Friday and Monday evening.  
  • On Tuesday I'm taking a licensing exam that I'm studying like crazy for.  And, if all goes according to plan, I'll take my motorcycle test, as well.
  • On Wednesday after work I fly to Phoenix.  I can hardly remember the last time I was on a plane which is a big deal given there was a time when I seemed to fly every week.
  • On Thursday and Friday and Saturday I'll deal with the 110 degree summer days and load a truck with all the stuff I've had in my storage unit there for the last few years.  
  • Then, I'll drive the 2,200 miles to get it back here - probably two weeks from today.  Ugh.

That's a lot happening in a short period of time. Oy.

Truth be told (and the sickest part of all of this) is I'm looking forward to it.

I'm looking forward to my motorcycle class.  I went out last night and bought gloves for it - Love 'em!  I got some boots that I need for it as well.  Love 'em, too!

I'm looking forward to getting back to Arizona.  It has been over a year since my last visit, which is way way way too long.  I miss dear friends there and can't wait to see them in person and catch up.  The down side is that I won't be there all that long and I've got a pretty full plate trying to load my truck - I won't have nearly enough time to see everyone that I'd like to.  But that just means that I'll need to make another trip when I've got more time to socialize.

Lastly for today - as I've mentioned many times over the years a typical day at work is spent plugged in to music.  Whether it's Pandora, Spotify, or some other source - it just makes the day go by faster.  Lately I've been listening to a concert that The Black Crows did with Jimmy Page almost 20 years ago.  They just don't make music like that any more.  


No comments: