Sunday, January 16, 2011

Weekend this and that....

It's Sunday evening.  The past several days have gone by fast.  Then again, I suppose most days recently seem to do that....

Some highlights:

On Thursday we did a "road-trip" to Philadelphia to spend some time at the William Way Community Center there.  Philly is only a hundred miles or so from Harrisburg so we combined the trip with visits to The Attic Youth Center and the always wonderful Dr. Michele Angello.  It's tremendously empowering to visit an active, vibrant LGBT center and thanks to everyone we met with who were so gracious and warm. I'm very excited about the opportunities we all have to make things better for all of us, and I look forward to putting some of the things we discussed into motion here at our Center in Central PA.

I attended the Central PA Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce Annual Dinner on Friday evening.  It was held at the amazing Hotel Hershey and was a wonderful event.  Congratulations to Russell, the rest of the board, and everyone who participated in this very special evening.  I stayed true to my lifestyle choice of wearing open-toe shoes wherever possible, although I'll admit it's a little different when it's 20 degrees outside.

Over the weekend I had the opportunity to drive BACK to Philly to attend the monthly Ren get together at Angela's Laptop Lounge.  It was especially nice to be able to spend some time with Ms. Chloe Prince on her way through the area in her boom-boom mobile.  All of the coming and going and visiting made for a veeeerrrryyy late night (I finally got to bed at 6 this morning!) but the good news is (a) it was all worth it and (b) I'm feeling surprisingly spry tonight given the circumstances.

All the various conversations over the past several days have been very productive and I'm excited to to move to the next step, and put it all into motion.

There was football this weekend.  I watched a little of it.

I went to the fitness center today and lifted weights for the first time in over a month.  I was surprised to see that my strength hasn't faded so much, although I'll admit that some of the muscle stamina has.  The weights were nearly the same as they were before the Holidays but the second and third and fourth sets were more challenging.  It was nice to finally get them going again.

And, I worked yesterday and today.  I've got lots to catch up on and the weekend provides good, quiet, quality time.

Here in Harrisburg the city will be crazed this week for inaugural events surrounding the swearing in of the new governor.  It has been chilly here - daytime highs in the mid 20's or so - so I'll avoid as much of it as I can.

Back in July I saw the movie "The Kids Are All Right" and commented about it (here's the entry).  Tonight it won 2 Golden Globe Awards including Best Motion Picture Comedy or Musical.  It reminded me of how I enjoyed it at the time - I'll need to watch it again.

I've been thinking lately of a fairly deep topic that I don't know that I can do justice to here right now.  When (or why?) is it ok to sacrifice long-term goals and dreams for the sake of short-term comforts and needs?  What is that balance?  The topic has come up a number of times and I've been thinking about it quite a bit these days - for a number of reasons.  I'll try to collect some words to articulate what I'm thinking sometime soon, but it's a topic that has been on my mind....

Anyway - time to get my stuff out of the dryer and get to bed.  G'night all.

No comments: