Saturday, February 4, 2012

Malaise

Ouch.

I had a root canal Thursday.  It's my second one.  The first was probably almost 25 years ago and I don't remember it much.  And although I'm no stranger to dentists and drills and invasive procedures in my mouth, root canals are unique.  Going into it I pretty much shrugged it off as a non-event which is probably part of why the last couple of days have been so "interesting".   The area is traumatized, the spots where they injected the Novocain hurt, and my overall "OK Mater" has ranged from shi**y to crappy.

I got two hours of sleep Thursday night, and I'm not sure if that's cause or effect of my general malaise.   So yesterday was not a pleasant day.  I was a cranky, hormonal, and generally just "blah" - good thing I felt to crummy to do too much to anyone.  And although I expect things will gradually get back to normal I've got too much going on right now to let it slow me down.

The good news is that I was in bed by 9 last night, I took enough sleep "help" to knock out a horse, and it did the trick.  I'm sitting at the auto mechanic's place waiting for my car to get new brakes, but things are significantly improved.

This is Super Bowl weekend.  I realize some people don't really care but I am not one of those people.  It's a holiday.  It's the pinnacle event of a sport I've loved for as long as I can remember and has become more than a game for many, including me.  It's an event.  It's a happening.  It's time for parties, and food, and funny commercials, and hoopla.  Oh...and a football game. 

I've never missed one.  I remember watching Super Bowl 1, and every one since.  It doesn't even matter so much who's playing although I've come to understand that I enjoy it more when my team ISN'T there.  I'll be the first to agree that all the pre-game hoopla is pretty silly but as far as I'm concerned that's just filler and it's easy to tune out.  And although it's nice when it's was a good game that's not really a necessity either. 

I've attended four of them in person and although it's nice to be part of all the being-there energy the game is more entertaining when you watch it on TV.  I probably couldn't afford to buy a ticket anymore.  The face value of nose-bleed tickets is already more than I've ever paid for scalped tickets (article here).  That's neither here nor there, as I'm planning on pizza, beverages, munchies, and generally just enjoying.  For anyone who cares - I'd like the Giants to win.


Will there be long-term impact from the Susan G. Koman foundation flip-flopping on support for Planned Parenthood last week?  (article here)  I lost a considerable amount of respect for them in the way they handled things.  It was a disaster and I expect it will haunt them for a long time to come.  They released a statement attempting to "clarify" things but the damage had been done, but in my circles very few are accepting the explanation as anything more than damage control. 

The last 6 months have been full of organizations that have been their own worst enemies.  NetFlix.  Bank of America decided to charge people for using their debit cards, then changed their minds.  Now this.  I find it astounding that an organization that fights its way to the top through shrewd planning and good business sense can suddenly slit its own wrists like that without knowing it's going to be a debacle.  And then to turn around within a day or two and change their mind?  It only makes it worse.

Anyway - my car is almost ready so it's time to face the rest of the day.  I'm hoping to continue to feel better.  The good night sleep helped immensely.  Next up?  Some food.

1 comment:

Sophie Lynne said...

My guess is that The Koman foundation read all the publicity surrounding the GOP primaries, and attention being given to the fringe parts of that party as an indicator that the rest of the country felt that way about women's rights as well. (After all, the conservative politicians are always bleating about Planned parenthood, trying to scare everyone.) And they were wrong. Now they deal with the fallout.

Or it could be that the top person always felt this way and hid it well.

I doubt we'll ever know unless those people resigning decide to talk to the media.