Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Over and Done.

I made it.  The GREAT DRIVE 2014 is over and done.

I finished the last 250 miles of the drive yesterday.  By the time I pulled up to my apartment I had driven just over 2100 miles.  I'm glad I had the luxury of finishing this last leg in a more leisurely way - it made for a more enjoyable and less tense end for the trip.  

All things considered I'm none the worse for wear.  The swelling in my foot seems to have gone away.  No aches in joints, or neck, or shoulders.  I've proven to myself that (1) I can still do 1,000+ miles a day without too much difficulty, (2) moving heavy stuff is getting harder as I get older and (3) I hope I don't every need to do this again. 

Of course, there is still work to do.  I need to unpack the truck and return it.  I'll start tackling that this evening....I wasn't in the mood to even think about that after I got home.

Now that I'm home I've got two things on my mind....

First, I need to take and pass the NC Real Estate Exam.  I'll schedule that for late next week, and start studying again....

Second, I'm looking forward to getting home to Charleston and hopping on my motorcycle.  It has been a couple of weeks since I've seen her - last weekend I was taking motorcycle classes and this past weekend I was moving - and I'm like a kid who can't wait to get back to new Christmas gifts.  I wanna ride.

One of the things with Harleys (and, probably, bikes in general) is the urge to customize them to suit your needs (or wants).  The stock Harley exhaust system is nice, but I'm looking for something a little deeper and throatier.  I very much believe that an important element of ensuring that other drivers on the road know you're around is via sound so there's more to it than simply being noisy.

I've already come to know my Harley parts guy, so I talked it over with him.  I told him what I wanted - not something so loud or obnoxious that I wanted to get in trouble with neighbors or drivers but something that provided more of a statement of "I'm here".  Typically, this adjustment involves a new set of slip-on mufflers of various lengths and diameters.

One of the popular brands is Vance and Hines.  My Harley guy said that for me to achieve what I said was the goal he'd forgo the V&H, and recommended some Cobra 3-inch mufflers made specifically for my type of Harley.


I'm planning to put them on this weekend.  I'll let you know how it goes....    :-)

But for now - I'm just getting re-acclimated.  To work, to life AFTER the move.  One of the best parts of having a blog for some significant period of time is to be able to go back and see some history.  I went back to look at my blog entry for when I first put my stuff into that storage unit (May 2011 - Dun Been Moved).  Every time I go back I condense a little more in preparation for this event (Aug. 2012 - Order Out of Chaos).  So now - finally - it's done.  Here's the picture of the storage unit that has been home to my "stuff" now that that story is complete:


Over and Dun.  I am storage unit free for the first time in a long, long, long time.

No comments: