Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Falling, and Flying

I've mentioned in the past that I sometimes look at sometimes look at some short period of time and all that needs to happen in that time and just shake my head.  I have no idea how it's all supposed to happen.  That's how I'm feeling now with all that needs to happen between now and the end of the month.

Most likely there is a cross-country drive.  There will be relocation so there's packing and all that's part of that whole process.  Did I mention that I HATE moving?  When I was married we lived in the same house for 15 years and my ex- still lives in the house that we bought in Arizona together.  As for me - it seems like I'm moving once or twice a year.  To be perfectly honest, not having that singular place to call home, a place that feels like home, is the thing that bothers me most in life right now.

Someone recently asked me what I hoped to be doing 5 years from now and, to be honest I can't wrap my mind around thinking that far in advance.  Rather than what I'll be doing, though, it's more about finding that new anchor spot.  I haven't found it yet.  There are a number of places that are valid contestants for a number of reasons but, for the moment, the place that seems to call me back again and again is here in the Valley.  I dunno, tho.  If I move my stuff away from here I doubt I'll move it back again.  I'm just saying...

I know that I haven't provided many details on all of this and it's not my place right now.  It's premature.  All I can say is that I'm a half inch from the edge of the cliff, closing my eyes, holding my hands out - palms up, and falling forward with Faith that once people find their place that they can fly.  The rest is simply about logistics.

There are a number of things I'd discuss in detail but that will have to wait for tomorrow or the next day. I arrived back in Phoenix late yesterday and hardly even remember falling asleep.  Today has been full of running around - the "Check Engine" light came on in my car again so I had to take it in, I went to the fitness center while they were working on it to pay penance for over-indulging in the wonders of New Orleans cuisine, and I've been catching up on things since I've been out of town for 23 of the last 25 days.  It's crazy....

Three things in particular to share, though.

One:  A Survey by the National Center for Transgender Equality on Discrimination and Health Care (see it here).  The numbers are horrifying.

Second: A trans-woman was murdered in Philadelphia yesterday (details here).

And lastly, Lana Lawless (a golfer) sued the LPGA over requirements that competitors must be "female at birth" (details here).  As an athlete and a trans-woman I've got some very specific thoughts on this, and I'll share some of them when I've got more time to articulate them effectively.

As for me - I have one more day here in the warmth of the Valley before heading east on Friday.  If you're anywhere near Hershey, PA - it'd be nice to see you there on Saturday!

In the meantime, I'm on to the next thing.  As I said at the outset - too much going on, too little time....

No comments: