Saturday, October 2, 2010

Unexpected Time

What an amazingly sparkling, beautiful day.

I was supposed to be at an NGLCC Board Retreat in the Hamptons thru tomorrow but last-minute logistical curve balls and complications, combined with my ongoing mantra of Simplify, made me hang here in northern Virginia instead.  I've refocused on taking a couple of days of fairly rare "me" time.

My 3-week schedule starting 2 weeks ago and stretching until mid-October was one of those things you look at from the outside and wonder how it's all going to come together, although somehow it always does.  There are things packed into each and every day - literally - one after another, with very little extra "space" built in.  I'm enjoying these couple of days of unexpected down time and I suppose it's much needed.

I went for a long walk today - 6 miles or more along a bike path that at one point was part of a railroad system.  There wasn't a cloud in the sky and the 60-something temperatures made it one of those magical fall days that those of us who appreciate and miss autumn dream about.

As I walked, lyrics to a particular song that I was listening to on Slacker radio said "I'm at a crossroads with myself" and it struck me how that's very much true in my world right now.  Things are still being worked, but the time to make big big life decisions is here.  Change is in the air more than simply leaves or seasons or temperatures.

Back to the NGLCC thing - people often ask me how they can get involved in broader LGBT efforts.  I'll admit up front that whatever I've achieved hasn't been part of any broader plan or strategy.  All I know is that my heart is in the right place and that I like the person I see in the mirror.  Anyway, I'd be happy to provide introductions or information to anyone who feels that they've got the skills and business background to serve in this organization.  Just let me know....

Also, for those interested in presenting at the Creating Change Conference in 2011 the deadline for submitting proposals is coming up (details here).

As for me - I'm doing a training event all day on Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday in DC and then I fly back to Phoenix on Thursday.  So, tomorrow is my last full day to chill.  Perhaps coincidentally, the local weather forecast is for things to get rainy late tomorrow and continue thru Wednesday  as well so tomorrow is the last day to enjoy this weather, too.  :)

I'll end tonight's entry with a plug.  The Central PA LGBT Community Center is having its annual benefit dinner in a couple of weeks (details here).  I'm planning to be there, so if there's any way you can be there I'd love to see you.

My song of the day is something I've been bopping to for a number of weeks now.  It was originally one of the free iTunes downloads.  Now I hear it on the radio all the time.

No comments: