Tuesday, February 4, 2014

About Choices

I spent the weekend in Charleston, as planned.  It went by way too quickly.

The weekend was divided into equal time sports / food / relaxing.  That seems like a pretty good balance.  But with the SU basketball game Saturday night and the Super Bowl on Sunday I'd have to say that the main focus was sports-related.

The SU game Saturday night was epic/incredible/awesome.  By the last couple of minutes I wasn't sitting anymore.  The kids were there, too, and we all got wrapped up in it.  When Duke sunk that 3-point shot at the buzzer to tie it we all screamed.  Oh - the pressure.  It was like watching the National Championship game...it really was.  And, in the end, Syracuse escaped with it's first #1 Ranking in years.

Much less pressure-packed was the Super Bowl.  I watched without emotional investment in either team, although my desire to see a team that has never won a Super Bowl was a bigger driver than my typical AFC tendencies.  In any regard, I was asleep by the middle of the 4th quarter.

My world is somewhat in flux at the moment (what else is new, right?).  I suppose that's a given when you're basically living out of a hotel room.  As I may or may not have said - my job is just outside of Charlotte NC so I really haven't perfectly aligned things at the moment.  But this area is far, far, far more fertile for my career and is only 3 hrs. from home so I'm ok with the trade-off.  That, plus I'll be able to do some of my work remotely so my time in Charleston won't be relegated to weekend excursions.

The good news is that I've spent some time finding a more permanent landing pad for my time here and I've settled on that answer.  I'm very happy with what I've found.  Now it's a matter of logistics - again.  And finances.  Moving and changing jobs provide stress on financial resources.  I wish I could say I've got a significant amount of $$$ put away for just such occasions but I don't.  Now it's a matter of managing it all for the next month or so...

I've landed fairly smoothly at the new job.  I suppose locking myself into a lease is an indicator that my comfort level that it's a good fit is fairly high.  The place is big enough to finally realize the white whale of my world for the last couple of years - going to Arizona to collect the bulk of my worldly possessions out of storage in Arizona and finally reuniting with it.  That might be an Easter trip.  Anyway - when it finally happens there will be great joy (at least in my little world, anyway).

Living out of a hotel is a drag, especially given that the dogs get bored.  Thankfully a couple of the few programs I watch regularly are on TV tonight.  That should help.  But I'd rather be in a hotel here than in my old apartment back in Nebraska.  Life is about choices, and I'm good with the ones I've been making lately.


1 comment:

sweetbrandigirl2004 said...

Hey Donna glad to hear your back where you want to be and that things are progressing for you nicely, I wish I could say the same thing for myself but unfortunately there not. I'm not sure what happened with your friend Maria, but things seem to have gotten messed up and we never made a good connection and thus made no progress on my situation. I'd be happy to help if you need it when you come to move your things just drop me a line. Still hanging on.

Brandi