Friday, February 7, 2014

The Cynic speaks...

A friend who has become active in advocacy recently lamented about all the in-fighting within the community with regards to doing almost anything.  I mentioned yesterday how many things have changed.  Well, that has not.  The so-called "community" remains as fractured and divided as it ever was when it comes to pretty much anything.

I used to tell a half-joke....Q: What do you get when you put two trans-people into a room?  A: An argument.  That's actually not far form the truth.  That's one of the things that eventually chases the people who SHOULD be doing this important work away.  

I didn't know any of this when I naively waded into the shark tank shortly after my transition.  My intentions were good and pure.  I had no agenda other than to champion issues that were important to me and where I thought I could help: workplace issues, youth, internal support, and the the overall umbrella of increased visibility.  I had to grow so quick skin real quickly because those who dare to do these things get nearly as much flack from within the community as from outside it. 

The key is to stay true to your beliefs, to be able to focus on what you've set your sights on doing, to know when to be a delicate politician and when to be a hammer, and to maintain your cool at all times.  That's not as easy as it sounds.

As I gradually stepped out of those roles a few years ago I did so with the expectation that others would step up.  They have.  But I don't know if we've become less dysfunctional (or more?) as time has gone by.  If recent events are any indication, I'd have to say we haven't moved much.  


This is a photo of this morning's sunrise in my rear view mirror.  Too bad photos don't do it justice.  It was a deep amber/orange color.  Anyway - very pretty. 

I hate to admit that the Winter Olympics don't do much for me.  The barometer I use for these kinds of things is that if I wouldn't stop channel-surfing to watch if it weren't the Olympics doesn't mean I'm any more interested just because it is.  That's probably not always true but after three or four teams going down the bobsled run, I'm sorry, but it just gets boring.  I realize that the cynic in me becomes very apparent when I admit these kinds of things but it's true.  I'm sadder that there won't be any more football until fall than I am excited at watching two weeks of winter sports.  Just sayin'

I head for Charleston tonight.  Looking forward to my weekend there, as always.  


No comments: