Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Cost

It's one of "those" mornings.  It's gray and misty outside.  I had a good night sleep but could probably curl up in a ball and sleep some more.  I can't stop yawning - on the third cup of coffee this morning.

I work in a cubicle.  Most of the people who work in my office seem like they're between 25-35.  When I go to work I care far more about comfort than style.  Well, most of the women I work with apparently feel otherwise.  I got into the elevator this morning with a half dozen or so of the women on my floor and they were all admiring one another's shoes.  I'll have to admit, they were all very stylish.  And big.  Nice heels..pointy toes...very trendy.

When I wear those kinds of shoes I'm typically sore by the time I get from my car to my desk.  Ergo - I typically bring them in a bag and wear flats from the car to the desk.  Especially when it's chilly out.  I don't know if it's a by-product of not having been raised having to do that, or my age.  Either way.  I'm good with it.

As I've said before, I manage projects.  IT projects.  Whether for large companies or for the DoD the concepts are the same.  The good news is that I'm well over 30 years into this career and still enjoy it. Well, that's good news for me seeing as retirement is a big question mark.  It's one of the things I gave up in my divorce.

I've written before about cost.  Everything has a cost.  It's a fact of life.  I'd say it's more than a fact of life but most people don't seem to see it like that.

But that's a deeper conversation than I want to have right now.

The currently ranked #1 NCAA Men's Basketball team, my Syracuse Orangemen, play their next game at Clemson this weekend.  That's close.  I'm very, very tempted to get a ticket and actually haven't ruled that out yet.  I'd love to see them in person.

I watch post-Super Bowl discussion of the commercials with a mixture of amusement and shake-my-head disappointment.  They become cultural phenomena and provide a window on various elements of our collective national psyche.  All the hoopla around the Coke commercial that featured people singing America the Beautiful in different languages is sad - really sad.  It reveals the strong undercurrent of bigotry that passes itself off as patriotism in this country these days.  Similarly, the Chrysler ad with Bob Dylan didn't try to hide it's ethnocentric bias.  Regardless - my favorite commercials don't seem to be on anyone's "Top 10" list - the Pistachio commercials featuring Stephen Colbert.


Notice the bald eagle.  Subtle, but funny.  I thought so, anyway.

Onwards.  Now I'll spend most of the rest of the day trying to wake up.....

1 comment:

Sophie Lynne said...

I gave up retirement when I chose "Education" as my career.

As for C'ost," I'm learning about that now. Fortunately, I have people who know the pitfalls and are advising me. Doesn't reduce the cost, but I'm not being blind sided.

:)