Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Crunch Time

It's Wednesday, or more specifically - it's the day before tax day. I still need to do mine. Uhghhh....

I received a letter from my Network Hosting company confirming that my blog had been hacked (Duh), that they had restored from backup, and that it should be up and operational. If you've been there lately you'll see that it may be "up" but it's far from operational. As I get more comfortable with this platform the less I can find reasons to go back. Anyway - the saga continues in the background.

Speaking of challenges, I'm going to share something here that I've been working on for a while now but haven't really felt the need to share. I have a feeling it's going to become public knowledge sooner or later so I may as well bring it up. I figure that most people haven't found this blog yet so it's not too big a deal.

Some may remember that I've been training to wrestle again. I have a coach/trainer who is a tremendously accomplished wrestler - he's badass with several US and world championships on his resume in addition to the fact that he's also a very good coach. I've been working very hard to get into some kind of shape and have actually been enjoying myself tremendously despite the ongoing bumps, bruises, cuts, muscle aches, and other ailments that seem to be amplified by my age (and/or by estrogen). It gets pretty intense sometimes.

I've set my sights on actually competing. Specifically, I have registered to compete in a women's Freestyle tournament in Ohio next week. I'll be competing in the 72kg (158.75 lbs) division and am within striking distance of actually making weight. For wrestlers, making weight is often the bane of our existence. I'm a few pounds away.

This move is admittedly an act of sheer insanity on my part as this particular tournament is a very big deal and attracts the elite wrestlers in this country. I expect thar the US Women Olympians will be there. Now there will be a 51 year old woman - probably at least twice as old as anyone else competing - who last set foot onto a mat in a serious way over 30 years ago. As I say, sheer insanity.

Many may question "why?" and I don't know that I can provide a rational explanation other than to say that it's a personal challenge that I have set for myself. As far as I'm concerned setting and working towards growth goals is key to a healthy overall life so goals can take any number of forms. The last significant physical challenge that I set for myself was to enter and finish a half-marathon. I did that in 2007. It's time for another one.

I hold no illusion that competing against athletes who are half my age, who train hard-core all year long, and who are the best of the best in this country will yield anything more than a good butt-whipping at best. I'm ok with that and just hope I don't get hurt.

However, when I first started working with my coach I told him I had two goals. First is to get myself into shape so I can stand in the center of that mat before the first whistle blows knowing I've done the best I can to be prepared to be there. It takes tremendously hard work and I've been working very, very hard. A second, more difficult "stretch" goal, is to actually win a match. The fates will have to decide that one - I'm ready to give it my all but we'll see how it works itself out.

I have no other agenda. I'm not there to make a statement about LGBT athletes. I'm there for me - for Donna, a middle age woman - who has set a personal challenge and is working to address it. It really is that simple. Whether others respect that is a whole other issue. I hope so, but I can see it all turning into a big hoopla. The key for me is to stay focused on the goals I've set for myself. And that's it.

In the middle of it all I'm headed to the University of Connecticut to speak at the Transgender Lives Conference there this weekend. We're seeing more and more smaller, regional conferences being successful and this is one I've been looking forward to attending. It'll be another one of those crazy travel weekends as my flight leaves Phoenix as 11pm Friday night and arrives in Philadelphia at 6am the next morning. A friend is picking me up so we can drive to Farmington together. I fly back Sunday afternoon.

If I work as hard these next few days as I have been I'll look forward to taking a couple of days off from training. Then - it's crunch time.


7 comments:

Wendy said...

Forgive my ignorance, but it seems sanctioned athletic events screen contestants carefully. Will you be allowed to compete in the women's division with no questions asked or will you have to submit to some sort of testing? I admire you're courage to train and compete and if you have to endure the additional scrutiny of your eligibility, then you are especially courageous.

Wendy

sweetbrandigirl2004 said...

Donna I wish you the best of luck in the competition, although I can't image why you would want to do something like that I guess for the same reasons I participated in a bikini contest (got 3rd place by the way) What in the world is a (half-marathon) does that mean you only have to make it half way before collapsing.....lol

Brandi

Angie said...

Good luck in the wrestling competition, Donna !

Stay safe, and remember that old Grantland Rice quotation,

" For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks – not that you won or lost – but how you played the Game "

Angie

Barbara said...

I do wish you lots of luck and please be safe. I'm sure you'll do well.
Barbara

zeke said...

Donna,I wish you the best of luck in your matches.As the single parent of a 6 year wrestler,I know it's in YOUR BLOOD.I also know that ,while you may be "rusty",you had to be REAL good to reach the level you did when you were younger and you never forget those moves.Remember..."focus and finish"...I think you know what I mean...Zeke.

Anonymous said...

What a great thing to do.
I found the blog an inspiration and it made me feel so happy.
You have a real strong spirit and will and i applaud you.
I have my fingers crossed for you.
I used to do full contact kick boxing and Thai boxing and have to say i definately wouldnt do that ever again.
However i have enetered a half marathon and if all goes well I will do a full one.
Good luck.
x

Unknown said...

Donna, Im glad you were looking forward to our conference here in Connecticut, we sure did enjoy you! The best of luck in Cleveland-you go girl!(Garrett)