Tuesday, April 27, 2010

In Repair....

This entry is cross-posted from DonnaRose.com:

It's Tuesday. I'm finally back to something resembling my normal self. It has taken a couple of days to get back to that after the trip to Ohio although I'm still getting up at 5 something in the morning which I'm not all that thrilled about.

I went to the fitness center this morning for the first time in a week. I was so busy trying to lose weight over the last few days leading up to to the Nationals that I didn't have the energy to go and yesterday I planned to go but never made it out of the house. My shoulder hurts (in the joint - perhaps a rotator cuff?) and my neck is still sore and I just wasn't ready to push things quite yet. Today's workout was a good one - not too strenuous but just hard enough to push things back into gear.

In honor of getting my body back to it's normal state and life in general right now I've been listening to a song by John Mayer titled "In Repair". I particularly like this acoustic version of a song because of the wonderful guitar work on it:



There's also a live full-band version that's pretty bad a$$ as well (see it here).

I didn't leave the house yesterday until after dinner knowing that I needed to at least do something. So, I went to Costco for one of their Frozen Yogurt berry sundaes. Yum. It was worth leaving for.

I've been so disciplined and stingy on what I eat lately that getting to a more "normal" diet has put my digestive system into shock. I'll just leave it at that.

I'll admit that I did watch a bit of "Dancing with the Stars" last night. Typically it's not something that I watch and I haven't seen it before but there were some fine dancers on there. Needless to say, I'm more focused on the women than the men. I have no idea how they move how they do - I'd give anything to have even half of that skill. But no - my lot in life is to wear wrestling shoes and abuse my body. Go figure. I'd go take dancing lessons in a second if I could....

Another "community" event that happened over the past weekend was the IFGE Conference held just outside of Washington DC. There was a time when it was one of the fixtures on my calendar but I haven't attended for several years now. There are a number of reasons why.

I talked with someone today who said that the attendance was way way down - she estimated it at 150 or so which is a quarter of what I remember from a few years ago. I said a long time ago that the organization needs to reiterate what their mission is and deliver something tangible to re-establish some trust. Or, they need to accept the fact that they're a magazine and a conference and focus on that. They brought a number of new members onto the board last year and Bree is a dear friend so I hope they find their way. If anyone attended and wants to send me their thoughts and/or observations I'd be happy to publish them here.

Speaking of conferences, I have accepted the role of managing sponsorship for SCC this year. That includes the program guide. This is the 20 year anniversary of the event which is a big deal and I expect to make this year's guide the biggest and best yet. I'm looking for corporate sponsorship, social networking advertising, organizational support, and even personal messages of "Congratulations" or "Support" or "Thanks". A portion of the proceeds goes towards the scholarship fund which makes it possible for people who otherwise wouldn't be able to attend to be there. Anyway - please spread the word and contact me for details if you or your company or someone you could recommend (a friend, a service provider, a caregiver, etc.) would be interested in knowing more.

No comments: