Friday, April 16, 2010

Friday at Last

This entry is reposted from DonnaRose.com:

I wanted to throw my scale at the wall this morning. I typically don't weigh myself - ever - but since I need to make weight I've been doing it every day. I'm busting my butt to get down there but have hit a plateau near where my body likes to be and I'm not seeing the results. It'd be easy to say "it's the scale", and I do plan to check at the fitness center when I go there, but it's just frustrating.

One of the things that heartens me is when I see transpeople included in broader society in healthy and uplifting ways. That's a huge goal of mine, and I suppose my efforts at the wrestling tournament next week is simply a part of that. There are people who shudder at the thought that transpeople will become normalized and do everything they can to perpetuate the ignorances that have kept so many of us from participating in society but little by little we're overcoming them.

One recent example is an article about a trans-woman in Glamour Magazine (read it here). This is good stuff, and although some may disregard it as simply "fluff" this is the kind of social visibility that's necessary to make inroads in overcoming the barriers we traditionally face.

CNN recently carried a story about a transwoman which involved some follow-up on their website, as well. They invited readers to share their stories of being transgender which was well received (see some of the feedback here).

The defense that others are using to try to deny us our rightful place as contributing members of society is a two-prong strategy: (1) fear and (2) lies. Here's a good example of the kind of baseless crap being used to try to stir the pot (see it here). There was a time when this kind of stuff would make me angry. Now, it's simply an indication of the untenable desperation that comes with knowing you're going to lose.

Unfortunately, many of us pay a horrific price for it. News came out yesterday of the arrest of a man in connection with the brutal murder of a transwoman in NYC (read story here). THIS kind of stuff does still infuriate me.

On the home front I picked up the results of my recent blood labs and am unhappy with the results. It'd be easy to say that it's just a one-time blip, the same as it'd be easy to blame the scale for my plateau, but I'll need to follow-up on some of these things with the doctor the next time I go see him.

I get quite a bit of email about people inquiring about hormones and many doctors use blood chemistry to manage dosages. It's not rocket science and sometimes it doesn't provide the kind of answers (or results) that people are looking for but the numbers don't lie. My estrogen is a little low at the moment - it's in the range of woman in the first 10 days of her monthly cycle. My testosterone is low too - the "normal" range is from 6-82 and mine is 11. Anyway - although I certainly don't feel my age other indicators provide reminders of the need to monitor and manage my ongoing health in an ongoing and vigilant way....

3 comments:

Kelli said...

*sigh* I've been having a *really* rough time at school. Some of which relates to me being trans and some of it doesn't.

In both situations, I'm required to fight my butt off. It get's exhausting, draining, and frustrating. You're one of the reasons I press on despite how I feel. You've shown me that the tougher the battle it is, the more worthwhile it is.

Thank you for giving me an example to live by. *hugs*

Gwen said...

One word --
CALM!!!
----------
Hon, you might want to consider enrolling in some yoga. You're putting yourself in a tizzy. You're more likely to meet your goal relaxed than stressing out over desired goals -- and your CBC and CMC will probably improve as well.

Steroids Blog said...

avoid sugary foods b4 having your T levels tested ( sugary foods will artificially lower testosterone readings )