Thursday, April 29, 2010

Reconnecting again/still...

I'm in the Bay area this evening, and expect to be here for a few days. I don't really want to expand on it more than that other than to say that it has been a beautiful day here and I've enjoyed reconnecting with people and places and feelings from my past.

It was odd to be flipping thru the latest Bay Area Reporter at lunch today and see my photo in it - there's an article about my wrestling last weekend in it. It's also odd to think that last week at this time I was in Cleveland preparing for my first round match. Where does the time go?

The best part of the entire weekend in Cleveland wasn't winning my first match. It was having a group of friends there so that I wasn't alone. There are so many different things that separated me from every other competitor there - from my age to the fact that I wasn't on a team to the fact that this was my first tournament so I had no clue about how things worked or where I was supposed to be when. And I'm a big girl so I'm certainly no stranger to being alone - if anything it's a constant companion. But NOT being alone and having smiling faces there made all the difference. Thanks to the "gang" from San Diego and San Fran and Seattle and Canton and all points in between who helped to make it what it was.

The event was highlighted on the Gay Games blog, and some of the photos include my posse (read it here).

I'm considering what the future will hold - will I do pursue this any further or am I done? I really don't know yet. Placing in the top 6 at the Nationals qualifies me for the National Team Trials in June (see the list of qualifiers here - we're the 72kg bracket at the bottom). I'd go into that with even less expectation than I did going into last weekend but for some reason I'm left feeling that there is unfinished business to attend to. Who knows - perhaps there's a future for me in WWF at the end of all of this. :)

Speaking of reconnecting - My high school is having a reunion in 6 weeks and I'm hoping/expecting to go to that. Reconnecting with my past was and remains important for some reason. I've stopped asking myself why and have just given in to the fact that it is.

I mentioned at the outset that I don't feel like going into detail about what I'm here to do. I will say that I expect to be feeling crummy at this time tomorrow so positive thoughts are always appreciated.

As usual my life is almost like a reality series - going to improbably places and events on an almost weekly basis. I'm hoping the next few days bring some much needed down time. Next weekend it'll be Norwalk, CT. Then? Who knows. I want to see my son in Austin and my mom in Dallas. And - who knows what else? Stay tuned....

Gnight.

Onwards. And upwards.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

This just makes me dizzy!

Caroline xxx