Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Aloha

It's Day 3 of my 2011 Atkins Diet.  So far so good.

I've had a couple of people ask me what it is.  Basically, it's protein.  The diet is divided into "Phases", with the first phase called "Induction".  It's designed to wean your body off carbs.  Actually, it doesn't wean.  It's like hitting a brick wall.

The crazy thing about the diet is that everything about it is counter-intuitive.  For example, I had a 3-egg omlette and sausage for breakfast and that's perfectly fine.  I couldn't have any of the added starches (toast, home fries, grits, etc) but that's ok.  Small salad for lunch.  Last night I had a half-price burger night at the Pub near my house and that's perfectly fine as well (without the bun or fries, of course).

I've done this diet in the past and know how it goes.  The first couple of days are fine.  But as your body starts to crave carbs it reacts.  There is a day-long headache in my future, and some gastro-intestinal "cleansing".  And a cranky mood for at least a couple of days.  It's truly amazing to see how your body comes to count on things like sugars so cutting them out "cold turkey" have an effect.  I also find it interesting how I just snack on little things here or there throughout the day without even thinking.

The reason I'm on it at all is that I need to lose some weight to get to my weight limit.  8 Measly pounds over the next 6 weeks.  Last year I had absolutely no energy for the last week leading up to the Nationals - I had 6 pounds to lose and was a mess.  Not this time.  I also realize that there are many different diets I could be doing and that some are concerned that this isn't the healthiest choice.  But I've come to accept that wrestling diets are inherently unhealthy, and this is a relatively short-term thing for me, so I'm good with it all for now.  Of course, if I get a week into it and I haven't lost any weight I'll have to re-evaluate but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I'm actually pretty happy with my body at the moment.  Between all the work at the gym, my bike, and generally feeling good overall I think it's all aligned.  The weight itself is a detail as I honestly rarely weigh myself (except for competing).  I have a pair of Size 4 pants that generally tell me how I'm doing....

Chaz Bono danced on DWTS Monday night.  I didn't watch.  But reviews are positive (here's one).  I make it a point to never watch anything that looks, seems, or could otherwise be described as a Reality Show so it's not like I was doing anything out of the ordinary by not watching.  And I'm glad (and relieved) that he did well.  He had a LOT of pressure to deliver and he did.

Facebook recently changed their "look" and people are up in arms about it.  I figure people will complain no matter what they do at this point and the answer to that is simple.  Quit.  Leave FB.  And although some of the people I know do end up leaving and staying away most people who leave seem to come back.  I told my sister the other night that I perceive FB as a curse more than a blessing and she doesn't see it that way, probably because she's got a fairly insular world on it.  But I have a pretty broad world there despite the fact that I don't share too much, that most of my posting is simply photos I take from my little world.  I'll admit that I've made some friends there who have turned into real-life friends, and I've re-connected with people from other times in my life so that has been good.  But goobers who write you disrespectful stuff, who tag themselves in your photos (when they're not there), who post creepy stuff on your wall because they can, who sign you up to be in a Group without asking, or who tag you in Notes/Conversations with a dozen other people don't last long with me.  Anyway, I digress...

I have a certain someone special in my life at the moment who will be graduating on Friday with her Master's Degree.  The good news is that I'm incredibly proud of her and very happy about this amazing achievement.  The bad news is that I'll start the day on the other side of the country from her, and I'll end the day in Denver so I won't be able to share it with her.  I generally avoid talking too much about my personal personal stuff in my blog - I've learned my lessons in that regard the hard way - but I will share that she doesn't live here but will be coming to Charleston next week for a belated celebration.  We're both very excited about that and have been counting down the days.   I may have more to share on that topic at some point, but for now that's enough....  Except for - Congratulations!!

I've seen a number of friends making interesting relationship decisions in their lives lately.  More power to 'em.  Part of the problem is to think we can approach these things rationally rather than emotionally which generally doesn't happen.  I, personally, don't buy into the "A Bad Relationship is Better Than No Relationship" school of thought.  But I'll admit that the early stages of a budding relationship is a pretty exciting time.

Others of my friends are very lonely and I understand that as well.  I've written about it in the past and nothing has changed - it's still an epidemic.  But the difference between being "alone" and being "lonely" is something each of us needs to come to peace with in various ways.  They're not the same and one can have either of them without the other.

Anyway - I need to get going.  That's enough for one day.  Stay tuned tomorrow for Day 4 of Donna's Atkins Diet....

1 comment:

Angel said...

I'm looking forward to reading more about your experiences with the Atkins Diet. My husband and I are both looking for an effective diet that we can live with.