Monday, June 4, 2012

June begins

So, here we are.  At the beginning of June.  It's almost "summer".  Actually, in many respects it already is.

I drove to Jacksonville to meet a friend from Arizona now living in Florida for dinner.  It's a 4 hour drive from here to there, but it's actually a fairly petty drive and the traffic isn't too bad so it goes quickly.  I had just covered that road the weekend before, but Friday was her birthday so it was nice to have the chance to catch up on things.

People come and go in our lives, but I think some of the best relationships aren't necessarily the ones where you see each other every week or talk a lot, it's those that don't lose steam over the course of time and distance.  Renee and I climbed Humphrey's Peak a couple of July's ago (photos here) - the number of people I've gone hiking or camping with are few but it builds strong relationships.  Anyway, it was nice to see her.

On my way back I stopped in Savannah to look around.  I've heard people compare it to Charleston and wanted to see for myself.  Personally - I didn't see (or feel) whatever it is in Charleston that makes it such a special place for me but perhaps it's just own personal prejudice at play.  Regardless, although it's certainly a very nice place I'm glad I had a chance to visit.

There's actually quite the feud between Savannah and Charleston.  They compete for port traffic, so the fact that Savannah is dredging to deepen the waterway is causing much discussion around here.  I realize this probably isn't important to anyone except locals, but in some way there's no love lost between the two cities.

Regardless, I posted a few photos from my iPhone on my SnapLog page (link here).


No comments: