Friday, January 17, 2014

Miles to Go

Last Friday I was busily taking care of the odds and ends required to prepare for my trip home to Charleston.  I spent 4 days there over the weekend and into the early part of the week.  The excitement and joy of getting home fueled me thru flight delays that prevented me from arriving until well after 2am, 1,000 miles of various driving excursions, and other speed bumps that I'd do a hundred times over if needed.  It's worth it.

There are lots of moving parts in my world right now.  As good as I've become at the technical process of moving from place to place I remain the opposite of good at cutting ties of things I've become invested in and moving on.  I'm good at starting things, but not nearly so good at ending them.  I continue to struggle with that.

Over the past few days I've been asked to reconsider my decision, told I'm "a breath of fresh air" to my organization, and generally reminded that I do enjoy what I came here to do.  That's not to say I won't enjoy what comes next, but cutting those ties is deeper than simply the logistics involved.  Anyway - it's a process currently in motion.

I'm in a far different place right now than I was prior to the Holidays.  Several things have happened that have caused me to reconsider a number of potential options, have re-prioritized a number of things in my mind, and have been the impetus to generally lower a number of walls I've been building for quite a while.  I realize that this is vague, and purposefully so, as it crosses the boundary between my private world and the world I'm willing to share.

This weekend will be full of packing, tidying up some loose ends, and football.  I predict the winners of this weekends games will be the Seahawks and the Patriots - not because I particularly care (I don't overly like or dislike any of the teams) but because the Seahawks have been on that trajectory all season and the Patriots, well, they just seem to find a way to win in big games far more often than not.  Regardless, I'd be happy to be proven wrong on any of my predictions since my team dropped from the running a long time ago so now I'm simply a fan of the game.

That's it for today.  I've got a busy day ahead and need to get cracking.  Miles to go before I sleep.


No comments: