Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Father

Father's Day came and went on Sunday.  The highlight for me was to chat with my son.

We have never put much effort into Father's Day.  The same is true of me and my own dad - it just wasn't a big deal to us.  Ironically, it never felt like problem until after he passed away.  I guess some things are just like that - you take them for granted until you can't do them anymore.

I think I say this every year but I'll say this again - I respect how each of us decides to treat Father's Day.  There is no one right answer just as no two relationships between fathers and their kids is the same.  For me, it's a simple thing.  I am my son's dad.  I always have been, and I expect that I always will be.  I'm not his mother.  I didn't abdicate any fatherly ownership simply because of my mid-life lane-change.  I am tremendously proud of being my son's father.  Period.  End of story.

None of us can afford to allow any one role in our lives define us.  In that same vein, we can't allow ourselves to shape ourselves around traditional expectations or definitions.  We own that far more than most people realize, so long as you're willing to accept that not everyone will agree.  I'm fine with that.  No worries.

Tonight I'm headed to see a concert.  We've got tickets to Goo-Goo Dolls and Daughtry at the Family Circle Tennis Center.  I haven't been to a concert in a while.  And I can't even remember the last outdoor concert I attended.  It's a beautiful, warm evening here, and I can't think of a better way to spend an evening.

Onwards!

No comments: