Monday, February 21, 2011

President's Day - picking up the pups

This trip is epic.  I'm only halfway into it but it's already proving itself to be big.

Yesterday's component involved the 800+ miles into Dallas, and I spent the night at my mom's, sleeping on her fold-out couch.  I've slept on it many nights before and it's either actually fairly comfortable or I've just gotten used to it.  I was pooped by the time my head finally hit the pillow and don't remember falling asleep.  I barely remember turning off the light.

Although it was fairly late by the time I got here my mom had dinner waiting, and a glass of wine, AND a piece of cheese cake.  Now that's what I'm talkin' about!  After a long day on the road that was just what the doctor ordered.

My stay here will be less than 12 hours.  I spent part of last night calculating the various options to get back to Harrisburg.  There is a nasty storm moving thru the northeast, and another that will be moving across the country in the middle of the week.  My planning, both in route and in timing, is built around minimizing the opportunity to have to deal with any of that.

I had hoped to be able to spend a little more time visiting here but it's just not in the cards, partly because of the storms and partly because of the fact that it'll take me an extra night to get back and I've got some work obligations later in the week.  The route I'm considering is a little farther (that isn't such a big deal) distance-wise but more significant is that traveling with dogs slows me down.  They need to stop for a break every 4 hours or so.  And, just because I can spend 12 or 14 or 16 hours a day in the card doesn't mean they can.  I've traveled across country with them before but it involves extra consideration.

All that said, I'll probably be here for another hour or so.  Then I drive to Austin to have breakfast with my son and get the pups.  Rather than enjoy the day with him, I'm hoping to be on the road by 2.  I'm taking a southern route back and hope to get into Louisiana by the time we stop for the night.

Anyway - I wish I had something more substantive to write about but at the moment it's all about the trip.  Getting this far is only half the battle.  Fingers are crossed that the rest of it goes as smoothly....

:~D

1 comment:

Barbara said...

I'm wondering if flying the pups to Harrisberg might have been a bit better rather then drive a 3000 mile trip to get them home. Anyway, other then the time it takes, you'll be fine as usual. Take care, drive safe, keep us up to date when you can.
Barbara