Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Suddenly quiet

I can't believe it's Wednesday already.  I have no idea where the time is going.  

The last few days, actually - most of the past week, have been a blur.  Between healing (or trying to), trying to pass my Scuba course, my sister visiting, recovering from being underwater in the pool for hours, and a number of other things - this is one of the first moments I've had to collect thoughts and chill.

A certain someone and I took the Scuba class which filled the better part of a week - either reading, studying, going to class, or in the pool.  There's lots to cover and one of the good bits of news is that we both passed.  This weekend we go to Florida for the Open Water dives that complete the certification.  That's complicated, too, because of needing to find care for the pups while I'm gone.  Anyway - it was good to get that part of it behind us.

I tried to scuba dive when I was a young teen, but I had a problem with pressure in one of my teeth so I didn't get this far.  My teeth have been drilled quite a few times over the years so whatever air was trapped under a filling at the time is long gone.  Anyway, so far so good.

The funny thing about it is that it has changed quite a bit over the years, since the Jacques Cousteau days I remember.  I think I still have my Scuba book from way back then, and at the time half the things that are standard equipment now hadn't even been invented yet.  It makes me feel old.....

The "wound" between my shoulder bladers has survived and I'm told it looks ok.  It's over an inch long and there are lots of stitches.  I suppose I'm not a very good patient - I've decided that I'm more comfortable without a dressing on it (I'm sensitive to tape adhesives) but I can't see it to make sure all is well back there.  Those I've asked to treat it say things are looking ok so I'll take their word for it.  All I know is that there's still some level of 'discomfort' there (I've learned thru the years that doctors often don't like to use the word pain to describe....well....pain).

I've been approached by several organizations to comment on a story that broke last week about a female MMA competitor who recently came out as trans (story here).  The same tired discussion about competitive advantage, and whether Fallon should be allowed to compete as a woman (despite her full transition in 2006) remain as contentions as ever.  I knew it would only be a matter of time before one of us found ourselves in this position in a "combat" sport - like wrestling - which adds a new context to the conversation.  I'm just glad it wasn't me who ended up being in that spotlight - partly because I was careful and partly because my sport just handled it all well so it never became "news".

Regardless, the same arguments apply here except that this sport doesn't have any "rules" in this regard yet.  Other sports have crossed this bridge and it sounds as though things are moving in the right direction from a technical/licensing perspective (story here).  Still, that doesn't change some the the larger issues  involved.  You watch - one of these days an opponent is going to refuse to fight her, people will refuse to train with her - it's going to get worse before it gets better.  It's the same stuff that concerned me when I started wrestling again but thankfully never came to pass.

Anyways, I'm doing a radio interview about it tomorrow - I'll let you know when it actually gets broadcast.

Other  recent "newsworthy" stories remind me that we're moving forward in the bigger picture.  There's the story of a trans fraternity brother (story here), and follow-up on a trans woman who was removed from a woman's restroom in Iowa (story here).

My sister's visit here was wonderful.  She spent several days visiting a cousin, and her trip was extended by a day because of flight delays, but she left this morning.  So now, as I finally sit and realize how quiet it is it seems like something is missing.  I've grown used to all the "busyness" in my life I think.

The Keystone Conference is happening in Harrisburg this weekend.  I attended the first 3 of them, and remember remarking on how well organized and run it was.  One of the unique aspects of it is that it's traditionally scheduled for the same weekend as the PA state high school wrestling championships so the hotel is full of transpeople and wrestling people.  It's a unique mix, and standing in the bar in the evening can be a kick.  I remember the last time I was there I got a call saying that my mom had been taken to the ER with some bleeding issues.  Anyway, several friends will be attending so I hope everyone has a good time and is safe.

I'm going to need to get a job job sooner or later, but I'm enjoying this "down" time at the moment.  I'm hoping to get to Phoenix over the next month, too, but we're still working out logistics for this weekend so I'm not that far ahead of myself yet.  


No comments: