Monday, April 8, 2013

Roading again

I'm in a hotel again, in the middle of a nearly 2,000 mile, 4-day road trip.  As ridiculous as things like this are, they are getting harder and harder for me to do - I don't know if it's because I'm getting older or I'm just getting tired of them - but I can still drive pretty much anywhere if I need to.  I realized today that I put 45,000 miles on my truck since I got it last April...that's almost 1,000 miles a week.  Sheesh.

Anyway, tomorrow is the last leg of the trip.  690 miles to go.  It's not my Phoenix trip, but it's not a social trip either.  It's something that needed to happen.  I'm a do-what-you-need-to-do kind of person and this is one of those things I needed to do so there's no sense in whining about it.  I'll admit, though, that if I could time-warp myself ahead a few days to get past the road time I'd do it.

I've got some pressures waiting for me back home, including needing to do my income tax.  I typically do it with a shot of bourbon nearby - it's good to either celebrate some money coming back or drown the sorrows of owing.  Either way, we'll see how it all works out this year.

One story that I've been watching from afar is the saga of MMA fighter Fox Fallon.  After an "investigation" she was granted a license to fight in Florida, as I expected.  But getting a license and gaining social acceptance are two different things and the fact that the right thing happened here has simply made the crazies even crazier.

One MMA fighter went off on her (story here, and another here).  He is ignorance personified.  The days when people can sling that kind of crap without being held accountable have past.  As of tonight, his contract has been suspended (story here).  I can't wait to see what his apology looks like.

When I'm on these kinds of trips I don't typically have much time to follow news.  I did watch parts of the Syracuse/Michigan NCAA Final Four game on Saturday but I was dead tired from a day on the road.  I'll admit to some disappointment in the outcome, but my days of being emotionally invested in sports teams is over.  As a Buffalo fan I've learned the hard way that sports disappointment is a bitter, but all-too-reliable, companion.  And whether it be maturity or transition or whatever - it's easy to keep these kinds of things in perspective.

Anyway, the Championship game is tonight but I expect to be in bed before halftime.  I'll see the winner on the USA Today in the lobby as I check out.

I'm watching Diners, Drive-In's and Dives on the Food Network to unwind.  Good thing I'm not hungry.  I still think that the host of this show has one of the best jobs in the world....

That's it from here.  It's time for this road rat to get to bed.  :~D


1 comment:

Sophie Lynne said...

have a safe journey!

befixce 755