Monday, August 5, 2013

Elementary

An astute passage from the uncommonly astute tv show Elementary:

Holmes:  It has it's costs.

Watson: What does?

Holmes:  Learning to see the puzzle in everything.  They're everywhere, and once you start looking....it's impossible to stop.  It just so happens that people, with all the deceits and illusions that enform everything they do, tend to be the most fascinating puzzles of all.  Of course, they don't always appreciate being seen as such.

Watson:  It seems like a long way to live.

Holmes:  As I said....it has its costs.

It's 4:54 am....I woke and can't get back to sleep so I'm watching things I've got on my DVR.  That's one great little invention...the DVR.  I remember being a kid when my dad got a VCR from the university to record his movies (Frankenstein, Dracula, and such).  Several years ago a friend said that his DVR was the most transformative invention in his recent life.  I really won't go that far, but it's cool.

I recently started a high protein/low carb diet.  I've done this before.  Unfortunately, I know from experience that the beginning of withdrawal from carbs involves headaches (yesterday), gastro-intestinal "cleansing" (sorry for the overshare), and difficulty sleeping (that's why I'm watching TV at 4 in the morning instead of in bed).  The significant physical affects make me think that carbs are almost like an addicting drug, and these are symptoms of withdrawal.  Regardless...been here before.

I've also already had breakfast (a scrambled egg, sausage, and coffee....can't go without the coffee), packed my gym bag for later today, and finished reading yesterday's paper.  All that, and I don't need to be at work for another couple of hours...

Another passage from Elementary...Holmes was in line to order a coffee at a Starbucks.

Barista (serving an order):  Tall half skinny half two percent extra hot latte with whip.

Holmes:  These coffee orders.....the Magna Carta was less complicated.

Even at this hour my sense of humor is perky.

Anyway, back to the diet.  Some people eat when they're depressed.  I eat when I'm content.  I'm often content, and I truly enjoy food.  So, I typically workout to balance it.  Lately I've been too busy to workout regularly.  Ergo - my current protein regimen (plus the fact that I like most things protein - except tofu), and my increased effort to get back into the gym.  

It's almost...well... Elementary.

Time to go and start the day.  My second show is almost over so it's time to slowly start the week.  Onwards!


No comments: