Saturday, August 17, 2013

Plush

As advertised, I took the plunge today.  I bought a mattress.

It really wasn't much of a plunge.  I've done a pretty good job of buying all my furniture here off Craigslist and the same is true of the mattress.  I'll admit to a bit of squeamishness wondering where it has been and what it has done - a mattress is a more intimate piece of "furniture" than, say, a table or a desk.  Wondering where a stain came from can make you feel a little skleeby.  But knowing that it's expendable helps to overcome some of those discomforts.

So, I bought this queen mattress, box spring, and frame for $50 (compared with $475 that I would have spent at Costco).  It's a bit softer (I think mattress lingo for soft is "plush") than I typically like but I figure I can dump the mattress and get a stiffer one if I find I don't like it.  Mattress frames alone cost ~$40, so it's not like I've made a lifelong investment in this.  Anyway - tonight we'll see how it works out.

I should have known better, but apparently i spoke too soon about my nails. Moving the mattress and other "stuff" today broke 2 of the longer ones. Sigh. Back to the drawing board

I must have really, really been tired from my week.  As I said - I fell asleep on my couch for a nap after work yesterday.  And I got almost 8 hours of sleep last night.  All things considered - good good.

Speaking of lifelong investments, I have no problem admitting that the new 2014 Corvette is smokin' hot, and I want one.  All the car magazines are reviewing it now - I've been waiting for the new C7 body style for a couple of years.  I realize it's totally unpractical and expensive (relatively),  but this is more of a visceral connection than a logical one.  I bought one of the new C5's when they came out in the late '90s and loved that....it was a casualty of a certain mid-life crisis.   Well, if I can find a way to get my hands on one of these babies I'm gonna love it, too.



I did laundry earlier today...washed my one set of bed linens to get ready for the new used mattress.  It was a joy deflating the air mattress and putting it away.  I hope I don't need it again any time soon.  Anyway, I'm a 90's rock throwback so the word "Plush" for me has a whole other meaning.  This is the meaning....



Rock on!

No comments: