Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sunday bites

Today was Sunday.  It was also my first day of nothing-planned in a long, long time.  I suppose it was my last of them for quite a while as well.

What do I do on a down day?  I have to admit that it felt wonderful waking up at 8:45 and laying in bed for another half hour.  I did a little bit of shopping.  I went to the gym.  I watched a little football.  I went out for dinner.

Some quick bits to cover for this evening:

Weather:  The weather here was warm and wet today - highs near 50 but raining since mid-morning.  I suppose that's not such a bad thing given the weather I saw in Chicago during the football game on TV today, which was the same storm that collapsed the room of the stadium in Minneapolis.  But I also noticed that the weather back in Phoenix set a record for warmth, and the ten day forecast there is typically beautious.  Sigh.


60 Minutes:  I haven't watched CBS 60 Minutes in years.  Now I've watched two weeks in a row and saw some fascinating stories.  Last week they had an extended story on Facebook that was tremendously intriguing.  This week there was a story about Brazil (oops - originally said Argentina here.  My bad) - culture, economy, topography, politics.  I'll have to admit, it made me want to visit Rio.  I've never really had that urge before.

Ipad:  I see that the next version of the iPad is supposed to have a camera on it (details here).  That's exactly why I didn't buy one the first time around - not having a video camera on it means that it's not worth the investment for me until it does.


Gingerbread Martini:  I had a Gingerbread Martini at Outback tonight.  It was double delicious.  I asked the waitress for the recipe and all I can say is that I hope to make some of my own sometime soon.  When I got home it made me start thinking about other types of Martini's I'd like to try.  Like an Eggnog Martini.  Yumm.

Egg Nog:  I LOVE Egg Nog.  Not watery, low-fat, no-taste egg nog.  Heck no.  I'm talkin' about good, thick, rich, spiced egg nog.  From time to time I'll even mix it with something more potent but that's not really the point.  It's the Egg Nog itself that counts.  It's one of those addictions that we're fortunate only happens for a short time each year.  Perhaps that's what makes it special.  Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I gave in to my urges to have some and bought a  half gallon of it at Costco.  I told myself that I'd have a small drink of it from time to time and actually believed that it'd last me until the Holidays.  Hah.  I've got a small glass-full left and will be headed back to Costco for another half gallon.  If I were still in Arizona I'd buy the ingredients for the Gingerbread Martini while I was there.  Here in PA they don't sell wine or liquor in most stores so that'll have to be a separate trip to somewhere....

Fitness:  I've finally gotten back into the groove with my fitness.  There were several weeks during and after my move across country where I took a bit of a break and I ended up feeling big and flabby a couple of weeks ago (partly due to the egg nog??).  The break actually did me some good and I'm back to it with vigor and purpose.  I've made time to be there each of the last 3 days.  I'll take tomorrow off.  The next challenge:  Each of the last three years I go for a 60 minute run on the treadmill on or around New Year's Day.  I try to average 6.4 or 6.5 mph and it makes me feel pretty good to be able to accomplish that year after year.  I'm planning to do it again this year.

Athletics:  Trans athletes are getting more and more visibility.  Not because we necessarily want it, but because it's an intersection of world that tends to draw the spotlight of public emotion.   There's an article on Advocate.com at the moment about a trans triathlete (read the story here).  Part of my training is anticipation of competing again this year.  No guarantees.  But I'll be as ready as I can if and when the spirit moves me again.

Holiday Plans:  The flavor of the Holidays changed for me a dozen years ago when my son wasn't around anymore, and when my dad died during the week between Christmas and New Year.  It has become a time of more introspection and analysis - not in a morose way but in a positive way.  I've gone to visit my mom for the last two years and I'll be doing that again this year.  My son turns 25 years old a few days before Christmas and I expect to see him as well.  I've got a few other plans that I'll keep to myself - deeper soul nourishing plans.  And I hope to be headed to Phoenix for a few days early next year....

TransCentralPA:  Last night I attended the TransCentralPA monthly dinner and meeting.  As I expressed to them least night, in a very real way that group is responsible for my being here now.  They asked me to speak at the last two Keystone Conferences and I was and continue to be impressed by their passion, their organization, their purpose, and the humanity of their members.  Last night there was a gal who's been full-time for a week and a half.  Another gal read something that she wrote for school to introduce her authentic self to her class - she had half the place in tears.  It's really amazing to be part of these kinds of things.  If you're in the area and want to be part of a special event - the Keystone Conference is quickly becoming one of the most well planned and run events in the country.  I'll be there again this year - God willing.

The Week Ahead:  I've got a busy week ahead.  I've got a Young Professionals Meet and Greet event on Tuesday.  I'll be in Lancaster PA for a meeting on Wednesday evening.  I'll be headed to DC next weekend - I've been invited to a Holiday event at the White House.  If it's anything like last year's - it'll be amazing.  Last year I had to travel two thousand miles to attend.  This year it's almost local.  What a difference a year makes.   :~P


That's more than I planned to write when I first started.  Time for a cup of team.  Then, time for bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You do realize that "Rio", as in Rio de Janeiro at least, is not in Argentina?