Friday, April 6, 2012

Autumn-like

So, today is Good Friday.  It's Passover, too. 

Here in Charleston it feels more like autumn.  Yesterday it was 84 degrees.  The cold front that brought tornados to Texas earlier in the week went thru here last night and the temperature is twenty degrees cooler.  With cloudy skies and brisk, chilly winds it really does feel more like Thanksgiving than Easter.

The Cooper River bridge connects Charleston with Mt. Pleasant

I, for one, am thrilled it's Friday.

I don't say this very often but I'll say it now:  I don't feel well.  I think it's my body's way of telling me that it doesn't appreciate all I've put it through in recent weeks and now that I've allowed myself to put down my guard - bam.  Sore throat, low energy, tired, just feeling "blah"....I'm glad I don't have to do anything too strenuous this weekend so I can let it play itself out.

When I was married and had a family Easter was a big deal.  It was a big family day.  As a result, perhaps the lowest day in my entire life was Easter 1999.  It was shortly after my wife invited me to go find a new place to live until I could come back and forget all the "foolishness".  I was aiming to go full-time at work and was in my little apartment, healing up from some surgery, supposedly getting ready to show up at work for my first day as Donna shortly afterwards.  I was isolated, sore, sad, confused, frustrated, and generally alone - all of which compounded themselves because it was Easter. 

I abandoned transitioning less than two weeks later.  It was a matter of self-preservation....

Easter doesn't have the impact on me that it used to have.  If I'm feeling ok I think I'm going to go to Charlotte tomorrow to do some shopping.  There will probably be a nice breakfast on Sunday morning.  Some photography is on my list of things to do, as well.  And a beach.  Thankfully, we're past the depressing years.

In the interview I did with the CBC we talked about my High School reunion.  One of the things I tried to explain was my need to establish and maintain links to my past.  It's much deeper discussion that I'm really looking to have right now, but I truly don't want to forget the past.  Remembering is empowering.

Jenna Talackova, the Miss Universe hopeful from Canada, will appear on 20/20 with Barbara Walters tonight (details here). 

As for me - I'm headed out for pizza.  I've got a Groupon that expires tomorrow so I need to use it.  I don't know if that'll help me feel any better, but I'm pretty sure it won't make me feel any worse.  :)

3 comments:

MCW said...

I hope you feel better, Donna! Happy Easter!

Gwen said...

Let's just hope you aren't coming down with the crud hitting people out west. It's a BAD URI that takes 2-3 Weeks to get over --- sinus and nasal congestion, persistent cough, sore throat and laryngitis and totally oblivious to medications and sympathy from others.
Hope you're feeling better.

Sophie Lynne said...

Take time and heal yourself.

Easter is about renewal and re-birth. it's about hope. Sometimes it's easy to forget about all that with the bunnies and the other stuff.

Hope is hard to come by these days. But every little bit counts!

And i hope you have a wonderful weekend!