Sunday, September 29, 2013

A few of my favorite things....

From the moment I landed in Charlotte a little over 24 hours ago I've been like a kid in a candy store.  I've been doing all my favorite things.

I landed at 7, and rented a nice car with only miles on it 911 miles on it.   I almost didn't take the car because it could be a bad omen......Whether it's 9/11 the date of 911 the emergency phone number it just seemed to tempt fate.  I decided to tempt her.

There are a number of stores in Charlotte - relatively near the airport - that I enjoy.  Specifically: DSW Shoe Warehouse, Nordstrom Rack, and REI.  So, I decided to take some time to visit each one and take my time this evening....it's more about the journey than the destination for once.

I made it to all 3 stores.  It was wonderful.  I especially enjoyed REI....there's just something about outdoor people that I miss....people who are passionate about things like backpacks, and tents, and trekking poles.  Those are my kind of people.  Genuine.  Excited about the outdoors.  Generally just...fun.

Today I visited (in no particular order) my friends at the gun store/range, the marina (boat people are cool, too), the scuba shop (same for scuba people), my favorite little wine and cheese store (love 'em like family), I visited the Apple Store (to see one of the new iMacs), I visited Victoria's Secret (to use a 20% off coupon on the nicest sports bra I've ever seen), and I just strolled downtown for a couple of hours.  I had an amazing steak dinner at my favorite local steakhouse.  I ran a few errands, and and I enjoyed the simple fact of being here.

Tomorrow I've got some yard work to do.  I'm going to go for a walk along the ocean.  I may go to a barre class depending on how the morning goes.  I had hoped to go scuba diving in the afternoon, but that's on hold for a month or so.  I'm meeting some friends for dinner.

Monday morning I'll pack up, I've got my bi-annual melanoma skin-check, then I'm off to CLT to return the 911 car (now no longer a 911 car) and fly back to my "other" world.  It's waiting for me - a time-zone away.

Good days.

No comments: