Saturday, June 5, 2010

A Bushel and a Peck

I'm watching Julie and Julia again tonight. It's just such a cute movie. The first time I saw it was on an airplane, and that's part of what made it such an enjoyable experience for me. Here's the song from the movie that's playing as I type this - it's not my typical "Song of the Day" but I enjoy changing things up sometimes:




My mom is so cute. When I visit her she often gives me dresses that she thinks would look good on me. Some of them actually even do. Typically, they have shoulder pads so the first thing I do it rip them out. Bigger shoulders is the last thing I need. I also need a tailor to take some of them in. But I've got a half dozen of them in my closet that need some attention. Maybe I'll find some time to take care of it when I get back from Iowa.

Life this week is all about balance. The original word I typed there was "focus" but after some thought I erased it because although that's certainly an important component it's not all there is. I'm a work hard/play hard kind of person and the key to this entire week is far more about balancing the many things that need to happen physically/mentally/spiritually/emotionally than anything.

I was up at 5:08 am this morning and was on an eliptical trainer getting my heart rate upwards of 140 for a full hour by 8, wearing a sweatshirt to shed as much liquid as possible. Needless to say, by noon I needed a nap. I was beat. I'm not a kid any more.....

Tomorrow I'm meeting a friend for an early morning hike at 7am. She promises that this hike will provide a good cardio workout and I have no doubt that she's right. She even talked "smack" to me - something people rarely do - so we'll see how it goes.

Afterwards I'm meeting several other friends for "brunch" at noon. If my balance comes to pass there will be a Mimosa involved.

Then, I hope to find someone to spar with at the ASU Wrestling Facility by late afternoon. It'll be hotter than Hades in there tomorrow. If it all goes as planned - which it never does - I'm going to be bushed by this time tomorrow.

I think "training" is a synonym for "punishment" as it's some combination of discipline, pain, test, pushing limits, mind over body, and desire. This particular sport has the unique addition of making weight as part of the equation which makes it even more sinister. But - it is what it is and now that I've set my sights on actually competing there I'll do what I need to do to be as ready as I can be.

There is preview of my weight class online at the official event website (read it here). The first sentence says it all:
This weight class may be the deepest and most talented in the women’s event.
And, it's not because I'm there (that's meant to be a joke). There are some very accomplished athletes there who have competed successfully at the highest levels - nationally and internationally. And rather than feeling overwhelmed (as I probably should) I'm looking forward to competing against the best. I only wish I was 30 years younger right now...

I'll admit that it's strange to see your name listed among world champions, Olympic medal winners, and other renown names in this sport. The important thing for me is that - even someone at my age with my background can earn the right to compete at this level. And - I'll be there. Or, I should say - all of my selves will be there.

Based on the most recent Official rankings that came out today - I'm ranked 8th in the country right now (details here - I'm in the Women's Freestyle 72kg Division). That just blows me away. And, I'd be less than honest in saying that my goal in this coming tournament is to move up.

In my book I mentioned several guiding rules for living: (1) Don't allow fear to rule your life (2) manage your expectations (3) experience everything (4) dignity is non-negotiable. All come into play this week just as they do pretty much every week. They don't go away. And, all will be at the forefront of my mind as whatever happens happens.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Donna,
All the best to you this week!
DWKme