Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Healthy

I have no idea where the days go. When I think back over everything that I accomplished it seems as though I've been busy busy busy.

There are those who would tell me that going to the fitness center is a "luxury", or something that they don't have time to do. In my world it's a priority, a necessity - I remember watching my father slowly deteriorate from the effects of his diabetes and decided that anything I could do to delay or prevent the onset of a similar fate in my own life was worth it. As far as I'm concerned my own best defense is physical fitness so the time I spend working out is an investment in my continued quality of life. It really is that simple.

Of course, the wrestling part of the picture would seem to contradict that because it involves pushing and bruising and crunching of necks - all of which should NOT be part of a "healthy" lifestyle. Speaking of which - I have an appointment for a neck X-Ray in the morning. I'm not expecting anything terribly bad other than the fact that I'm getting older but it's a precaution worth taking.

The night I got hurt I wrote that my competitive wrestling career is over. I reserve the right to rescind that heat-of-the-moment comment at some future time.....

I got an interesting email today from someone who apparently has one of my old cell phone numbers. I change them pretty much every year so I'm pretty much a moving target in that regard. Part of it is just that I'm in different parts of the country at any point in time. Anyway, this person made the effort to track me down and said that I had received at least a couple dozen calls over the past few weeks to encourage me during my "hard times". I really appreciated that this person took the time to try to find me and contact me. I'm told that there was even a singing telegram in Italian - I know who that was. And, apparently, it wasn't even real Italian. :)

One CD I seem to be listening to quite a bit lately is the latest by John Mayer. I've featured a couple of his songs here in previous posts (one of his older songs that has particular meaning for me is "Say" from the movie The Bucket List). The song from his latest effort that I'm currently finding to have the deepest meaning is titled "War of My Life". As with most of the songs with which I feel a deeper connection, the lyrics of this one have special significance:
I'm in the War of My Life
At the door of my life
Out of time and there's nowhere to run.

I'm in the war of my life
At the core of my life
Got no choice but to fight til it's done...

No more suffering, no more pain
Never again......



Good stuff.

Tomorrow is another full day. Early morning Oil change. X-Ray. Training session at Apple. Dinner with friends. I hope to get a run in there sometime, or a hike.

I've got a couple of trips coming up as well. And, some friends visiting from out of state....

I said before that I refuse to live out the rest of my life in a cubicle. It'd be relatively easy to retreat to the safety (and the money) there. I'm doing my best to break free. I really am. But it's not as easy as you'd think. Thus - some of the relevance of today's song....




No comments: