Monday, July 5, 2010

Boats in the Water

There is a community pool just outside my back door that residents of my neighborhood can use. Tonight was the first time I've used it. I enjoy a bit of a chill to pool water - something that's refreshing more than like stepping into bath water. The water in the pool was just perfect. I really enjoy swimming and it was nice to be in water again.

One thing I did notice is that the spot of my neck that got hurt at the US Team Trials is still sore. Somehow, swimming uses that part of my neck and reminded me that it's not all better yet.

My schedule over the past couple of months - actually, for the past several months - has been pretty intense. I've had the freedom to do some wonderful things, and am at the point of figuring out what to do next. I've started looking, and the path is leading in a number of different directions.

One direction is particularly interesting. I've started applying for waitress positions. Every job I ever had before graduating from college involved the hospitality industry - a hotel or a restaurant - and I truly enjoyed it. I seriously considered making that my career and almost applied for the Cornell Hotel/Motel management program. The only thing that stopped me was the fact that management hours were insane and I envisioned a more routine family life. Anyway - I don't know if this will lead anywhere but I'm enjoying applying for the positions.

I've written before about my desire to do something that had more aspects that I find important, or interesting, or new, or fulfilling in my life these days. One of those things is a social aspect. Another is having a more feminine slant to it. The restaurants I've been to so far are fairly nice and I'll continue down this path to see where it leads.

As I say - I've also got other boats in the water but this particular drive is particularly fun at the moment...

I've got some friends visiting from out of town who noted that I've been wearing dresses more than they remember. I have. I've also started playing with my hair more - for some reason I'm in a phase where I've been scrunching it lately. The enjoyment/appreciation of being able to do these things hasn't worn off, even as I approach the 11th anniversary of what I consider to be the "official" start of my life as Donna.

Another friend noted that I'm at the perfect weight at the moment and she's right. I'm exactly where my body seems to like to be without too much difficulty. I don't feel as gaunt or as drawn as I did when I got down to wrestling weight. It's amazing how much difference less than ten pounds can make. I still go to the gym or do something aerobic 4 times a week but it hasn't been as intense as when I'm trying to crash weight. A 45 minute run on a treadmill covers almost 5 miles and that's enough to keep the heart and lungs primed.

Even with all that's going on the prime directive in my world at the moment is alive and well. Simplify. I've been approached to be on two boards in recent weeks and can find reasons to say yes to either or both. However, the time constraints, emotional effort, and general work that goes into these things makes life more complicated, not simpler. As I figure out what to do in my next incarnation I need the space to make good decisions...

Time for bed. Tomorrow is another day. I'm still energized, in good spirits, and doing well. As I said yesterday - I don't know what's causing it but I hope it lasts for a while.



No comments: