Monday, July 5, 2010

Year half gone.

The 4th of July has come and gone. Last year on this day my son and I were driving across country and got stuck in the most amazing thunderstorm I've ever experienced, just west of Oklahoma City. The fireworks came from the heavens and it was quite the spectacular evening. This year was much calmer and more relaxed.

I have felt energized all day long - I don't know exactly why or how long it will last. I spent some time this morning doing my usual hike up Squaw Peak and felt like a billy goat bouncing up the trail. By the time I got done I probably could have done it again without too much problem. That's quite the rarity.

Next week a friend and I are planning to hike the highest peak in Arizona - Humphrey's Peak - where the summit is over 12,500 ft. I hope I'm as chipper then as I am now as the trail is described as "strenuous". The US Forest Service describes the hike and has a paragraph that has me hoping for clear weather:
Once you do reach the summit ridge you'll feel like you're standing on top of the world. Off in the distance, the Grand Canyon, the Painted Desert, the mesas that are home to the Hopi Indians the Verde Valley and Oak Creek Canyon form a 360deg. panorama. And after you've seen it you'll be able to say you've been as high as you can get in Arizona.
Needless to say, I'll have my camera ready.

Now that the year is half over I have been reflecting on what has happened so far this year. I've experienced a number of significant life events and expect several more before the year is through. The good news is that I'm feeling good mentally, physically, and spiritually. That's the biggest difference between last year and this year - last July was one of my lowest points in a long time. My psyche was running on fumes for a while there and I feel fortunate to have been able to bounce back as I did. I recorded a video blog at the time that I never posted - perhaps I'll put it up just for old times sake.

I'd write more but it's 1am and I need to get to sleep. Otherwise, I won't be nearly as chipper tomorrow as I was today. I'm hoping to sleep in past 8. We'll see how it goes.

Gnight!


2 comments:

Lori D said...

I can't wait to hear about the hike to Humphreys. I've taken photos from it's many sides, both near and far, but I've always desired to be right on top!

Anonymous said...

Donna,
Your trip of next week sounds fabulous. I am so jealous. Please be most careful. Better take your snuggies as I am sure you will need them cause it will be very cold up there.
When we went to the top of Mt. Evans, Colorado 14,264 ft in July it was freezing cold, snowy, and almost impossible to breath. However we were fortunate because we were able to drive all the way to the top on what is the highest paved road in the world.
Well tis late so as always best to you.
DWKme