Thursday, July 15, 2010

Coyote Grace

I was reading back through some of my old blog entries last night.  Entries from 2006 and 2007 mostly.  Geez.  There's lots of stuff there - it brings back old memories.  One of the things you can do on Blogger is turn your blog into a book for some nominal fee.  Those blogs cover lots of ground in my life....yeesh.

Argentina approved gay marriage last night (details here).  The DC same-sex marriage decision survived a court challenge (details here).  There's an article in USA Today about the increase in "gay-marriage" lawsuits (read it here).  It's only a matter of time before it ends up in front of the Supreme Court here.  In the meantime, other countries are getting it right.

One of the CD's I've been listening to here at home recently is by Coyote Grace.  Most people have never heard of them, but should.  Their next concert is next week in Richmond, VA where they'll be opening for the Indigo Girls.  Remember the name:   Coyote Grace (read about them here).

Here's a little video about them giving an idea of who they are:




And, here's the "official" video of A Guy Named Joe.  Listen to the words carefully.



Awesome stuff.  Their music is available thru their website, and there are a number of other videos online.

I went to the gym twice today.  One to run - 45 minutes.  And, later in the day to do some other stuff.  I mentioned yesterday that I never made it out of the house to get to the gym so I suppose I made up for that today.  The reality is that I just didn't have time to finish this morning but didn't want to let the moment pass so now I'm feeling good about things.  Once you get used to being in shape you feel guilty for missing too many days.  It just becomes part of your lifestyle.

Some have asked me whether I'm going to wrestle again.  The Gay Games are in a couple of weeks so I won't count that.  The wrestling "season" starts again next year and I haven't given much thought to it so I have no idea what will happen.  One thing I'll say is that I enjoy doing it - I really do.  But I enjoy the practices far more than the competition of the real deal.  It's like a friend I sometimes play tennis with.  I enjoy hitting the ball over the net and rallying but she's far more into hitting the ball hard and winning.  And, people are much more careful about not injuring their training partners than they are in the real deal.  I do believe that there is such a thing as over-training and that the older you get the more likely you are to do more harm than good at some point.  What does any of that mean?  It all means I don't think that far ahead so we'll just see how things play out.

Speaking of healthy lifestyle, a recent report by the American Lung Association produced some startling results.  The bottom line is that the rate of smoking in the LGBT community is nearly double that of the general population in this country.  Double!!  (See details here).  That's crazy.  Why?  The report tries to explain:
To be clear, no one within the LGBT community is more prone to smoking because they're gay. The elevated risks are the result of common factors that are magnified within the LGBT community, namely stress and aggressive marketing techniques by tobacco companies.

Personally, I think there's more to it than that, but the numbers are indeed eye-opening.

There's an article in Friday's Washington Post titled "Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell's transgender relative speaks out for gay rights"  (Read it Here).

And lastly, the new Leonardo DiCaprio movie, Inception, starts today.  Rottentomatoes.com says that it's worth seeing and it's one of the few non-animated movies that has piqued my interest.  Maybe this weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donna - Good to hear that you are well. I am looking forward to seeing (and hearing) Joe and Ingrid (along with the Indigo Girls, of course) next Saturday evening at Morton Arboretum in suburban Chicagoland!
Gretchen

Caroline said...

Surely not the T part, it does not go well with hormones!

Caroline xxx