Monday, October 8, 2012

All good things.

It's true.  All good things come to an end.  It's Monday - 8:30am and I've already driven the 4+ hrs from Charleston to Raleigh.  My weekend at home, nesting, is over.  I'm tired.  And truth be told - I'm cranky.

Back to the good news bad news...The good news is that I knew I had to get up early so I was in bed shortly after 9.  The bad news is that I was awake before 1am, couldn't get back to sleep, so I just got up, finished packing, and hit the road by 3:30.  Yuck.

I mentioned that I went to see Loopers on Saturday evening.  I find it interesting to see the coming attractions they select for any given movie.  At one of the other recent movies I saw there were 6 or 7 trailers, all of which seemed funny and interesting, and I'm going to try to see all of them when they come out.

At Loopers, all but one of the coming attractions were horror flicks.  I couldn't watch....that kind of stuff creeps me out.  Based on that alone I was a little concerned about the movie itself, but thankfully my concerns proved to be unfounded.  I'd say that the movie is more thought provoking than "enjoyable" (in the traditional sense).  There was lots of death in it, but death (and life) are themes as much as anything.

I posted a couple of pictures from my weekend on my Snaplog.  Lots of boxes, lots of stairs.  Thankfully, there's only one flight of stairs this time so it wasn't too bad.  And the weather cooperated so it wasn't too hot or humid.  But although I'm pretty much a moving machine when it comes to grabbing big boxes and getting them from point A to point B I feel the fact that I'm not at peak shape for this.  It's not that I ran out of gas, or that I'm sore.  It just didn't feel the same (hard to explain...but true, nonetheless).

My dad was a cynical kind of guy.  All good things do come to an end.  I suppose that's the nature of change.  Things change.  For better or for worse?  It's sometimes not so easy to tell in the heat of the moment.  Those kinds of subjective determinations often don't truly become apparent without the benefit of the passage of time.

He also said, "No good deed goes unpunished."  In my own more cynical moments I think he was right on that, too. 

I get back to something I've asked before.  Do you need to trust someone to love them?  I'm not looking for answers, because my cynicism told me a long time ago that the answer was "no".  It would certainly be nice...but does one require the other?  Nope.  I realize that both "trust" and "love" are relatively subjective terms, but I'm just saying...

There was a time when my son was in high school that I wouldn't trust him for a second.  Some "incidents" demonstrated that he'd lie to my face even when the truth was obvious....when there were zero other possibilities.  I still loved him....but there were boundaries.

Anyways....I'm going to need to re-think this office by the window thing.  It was beautiful.  Until today.  Today it's rainy and chilly out, and I'm freezing.  Fa-REEZ-ing.  I think it may be time to retreat to a spot deeper in the building.  At least, until spring.  :)

UPDATE:  Well, it's freezing everywhere in the building except for the stair wells.  I asked one of my co-workers if he thought if anyone would mind if I started a small campfire for warmth.  Probably not a good idea.  Sigh. 

Tomorrow I fly to Kansas City.  I noticed that the low there tomorrow night is going to be ~39 degrees.  Oh dear.....







1 comment:

Sophie Lynne said...

Lou Reed once said "Love is trust, no money down."

Actually he sorta sang it, but that's not the point.

I agree that while one doesn't HAVE to trust to love, it sure helps. And I guess it depends upon the type of Love.

Have a safe flight! There's a great bar in KC called "Kelly's" that i highly recommend. :)