Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Best Bad Idea

It has been a few days since the last time I had a moment to share here.  I've had a number of things going on - mostly good.

I've had full days at work.  A dear someone was visiting the area for a couple of days so we've been out to dinner, we went to see the movie Argo last night, and we have generally kept ourselves happily busy. 

One of the reasons I haven't added anything new here is that there's simply quite a bit of nothing to say.  When life settles into a relatively comfortable little groove, well, there's no need to talk about it too much.  I've managed the noisy tumult of my work-weeks into a fairly workable routine for the moment, and I'm spending longer weekends at home.  Those two things together have helped a lot, although there's still more that needs to be done.

This time of year here is wonderful.  The 10-day forecast for Charleston is sunny with daily highs in the mid-70's and nightly lows between 55-60 every day for the next two weeks.  Here in Raleigh leaves are beginning to change, and a sense of "autumn" is in the air.  Next weekend the Carolina Coastal Fair begins in Charleston which is something I always enjoy.  Halloween is apparently a big deal at the company I'm working for (which, by the way, without giving specifics was recently selected as one of the Top 10 Innovative Companies in the World by Forbes) which is pretty cool....

Next weekend I'm scheduled to compete in my first tennis tournament.  Ever.  I'm not very good but I very much enjoy playing so I'm looking forward to it.  The goal is to have the opportunity to actually play as much as to compete so we'll see how that goes.  And I'm hoping to have a couple of photos entered into the Carolina Coastal Fair competition.

The weekend after that I'm headed to New Jersey to attend the Bar Mitzvah of my cousin's twin sons.  I haven't seen this particular cousin since I was 15 or 16 years old so it has been almost 40 years....it'll be interesting to reconnect with family.  All things considered....busy weeks and busy weekends.  Now if I could just minimize the 4 hr. commute each way - that's still a work-in-progress.

At work I was recently recognized by the PMO with a "Gold Star of Excellence" for something I've done.  The end result?  Positive kudos, and they've given me a new project to manage.

In the midst of all this my mom is having a pacemaker put into her heart at the end of the month.  And she has asked me to come to spend Thanksgiving with her, which I'm trying to arrange.  And I'm still focused on bringing my furniture here from Arizona by the end of the year which will involve another cross-country drive.

So - that's my world right now.  Mostly good.  Still some flux.  But enjoying the stability I've brought to things for now. 

Per my previous post - I neglected to give the name of my friend in the Charleston's Hottest Bartender competition.  It's Alyssa.  You can vote once per device.....she's currently in 2nd place by a little bit.

In the movie Argo they discuss the various bad ideas that had bubble up to try to save these 6 Americans who escaped from the US Embassy in Tehran.  The thing that was selected was identified as, by far,  the "best bad idea".


I've had many similar decision opportunities over the course of my life.  I just never really thought of them this way.

1 comment:

Sophie Lynne said...

Best of luck in the tourney!

And prayers for a swift recovery for your mother! :)