Monday, December 31, 2012

Kick my butte

Sunday: Dec 30

Groupon and Living Social have opened the door on a whole array of things I've wanted to do but either haven't wanted to make the investment, known that the opportunities even existed, or simply haven't had the time to investigate.

Besides restaurants and tours, there are all kinds of interesting things - some of which I have decided to make part of my world.

One of them is Barre.

I had never heard of Barre until recently, and I don't think it's anything I would have sought out.  I've known for a long time that I need something that tones and stresses flexibility, and although I've only done it once I thought that thing would be pilates.

Pure Yoga isn't my thing.  It's just not.  I bought a small "hot yoga" package thru Groupon last year when I was training for wrestling but never used them.

One of the reasons wrestling appealed to me is that in order to do it well you need to combine a number of things - strength, agility, discipline, aerobics, skill.  That's one of the reasons that it's such a difficult sport to do well, because just doing well at one or two or three of those things will only go so far.

And that same concept is why Barre seemed and continues to seem so appealing.  It's a combination of yoga, pilates, and ballet designed to lift, tone, burn, flex and lengthen.  I've gone to two classes so far, and it kicks my a$$ every time.

Going to these kinds of classes is no small task.  I'd love to say that I'm flexible, and graceful, and that I've got half a knack for any of this stuff.  But we all know that's not true.  I'm strong, I've got way too much thick muscle, I'm in fairly good shape - but as with wrestling those things will only get you so far with this.  In some ways, it's actually a detriment.  The classes are filled with women who look like ballet instructors, who can do a split or bend at the waist and touch their forehead to their knees without even thinking about it, who have a natural grace when they move and bend.  And then - there's me.

I just got back from class although I'm not sure it's a "class" so much as it's a "session".  I've had the same instructor for both times I've gone, and she has been wonderful.  By the time the hour is over, I'm the only one drenched in sweat.  My body is quivering (or convulsing) for a couple of hours, and the muscles between my heels and my shoulders are screaming.  My butt, my thighs, my quads, my tummy, my calves, and muscles I never knew I had.  I get home, take a shower, take two asperin, and lie down on the bed for an hour to recover.  Funny this is, I'm loving it.

I sound like some infomercial for Barre or something, but as I consider my body and moving into new territories - that's the direction.  I'm hoping that 6 months from now I will have continued doing this two or three or four times a week, that I'm flexible enough to touch my head to my knee, and that it's not quite the shock on my poor legs and butt.  We'll see.

Today is sunny and cool - in the 30's this morning.  As usual on Sundays, I drove down to the water and spent a moment appreciating some things.  Since it's the end of the year there's much to consider, and I've got a lot on my mind.


No comments: