Thursday, May 6, 2010

Bed Time for Bonzo

I've got a friend arriving at 5am to take me to the airport. And, I'm saving packing until I wake up. That is, I never really fully unpacked from the last trip so this shouldn't really take too long. Such is the life of living out of a suitcase I suppose.

It's a little after 10:30 and I hope to be asleep by 11:30. One can always set goals. Whether I get there or not? Who knows.

I've been told not to make big decisions or do major things while on some of the strong meds that I'm on right now. I don't really think that has much to do with anything, and neither does the lingering effects of the anesthesia (although I'll admit that I probably shouldn't have been driving this evening). What I do know is that my chin is completely numb (hate that) but the inside, along the gumline, hurts like hell (hate that too). Go figure.

If you come to see me this weekend in CT I already apologize for not being 100%. I've already gotten email from people who came to see me a couple of weeks ago and are coming back for more this week. The good news is that my comments will be different for a number of reasons. Plus, if the drugs kick in part of the fun could simply be the insanity of it all.

I wrote some fairly strongly worded things in my Tuesday entry about friendship, the need for support, and the unfortunate lack thereof that some of us must sometimes endure. I stand by what I wrote 110%. And for those who made it through those early scary, painful, long, dark nights of our own surgical stupor thanks to the generous support of others who were there for us but somewhere along the way we forget how it feels when others need us then shame shame shame. You have lost part of your humanity and you'll have to account for it in the end. That's just the way it is. Apologies are in order.

As for me - I continue to be thankful for some of the simpler things in life. Like fiber. I need soft fiber bars (yummy!) to counteract the affects of the pain pills (if you get my drift). And vaseline. Lord knows how dry lips can get without constant vaseline application.

You know what else I've re-discovered over the past few weeks? Fresca. Who knew they even still made the stuff? Now, I'm addicted.

It's hard to believe a week ago I was competing at a very physical sport at the national level and now I'm thankful for simple things like fiber and vaseline. Go figure. As with most things - this too shall pass. I like to think that the first week of recovery is the hardest so getting past the next few days will be key. I've been here before so it's not all completely a surprise, although I think the swelling will take weeks to subside.

In latest developments I'll need to head down south to take care of some details there, too, so there are unexpected adventures in my future. Such is part of life, I suppose. And, I need to get a job. That's becoming a biggie but I need to take care of all these "details" first.

One thing that's not a detail is that this Sunday is Mother's Day. I'd like to be with my mom but can only be there in spirit. I expect I'll have more to say about this in a day or so. I just don't want the thought to pass without special mention.

Now it's almost 11 so it's really time for bed. My 4am wake-up call will come way too soon.

Gnight.




2 comments:

Caroline said...

to counteract the affects of the pain pills (if you get my drift). And vaseline. Lord knows how dry lips can get without constant vaseline application.

Works wonders at the other end too if those pain pills are doing to you what they have done to me, just saying.

Caroline xxx

Barbara said...

I can hear in the words of your post, your heart is hurting more then your mouth. To feel alone and betrayed from a certain person in your life is devastating, even when your surrounded with other well wishing people who love you as much. I can only pray that you will find peace in your life sometime soon because of this betrayal. But don't bet on it. This is going to take some time to heal. Have a safe trip to CT.