Sunday, May 16, 2010

Cycles

The most evil thing about Haagen-Dasz ice cream isn't the creaminess, the taste, or the number of calories in each sinful spoonful. It's the fact that they pack it into pint containers. If you're not careful and you sit down with the container in front of you you'll find that it's gone faster than you can imagine. The pint just disappears. That's just wrong.

Of course, the most effective way to combat this (other than to simply not buy it) is to put a couple of spoonfuls into a bowl. But the bowl typically dwarfs the small size so they key - as to most things in life - is willpower.

Today was my first day back at the fitness center with any sense of purpose (I was given strict orders to keep my blood pressure low and to avoid "stressful" exercise for at least 2 weeks). I didn't touch a weight, but worked on tummy and was on the treadmill for 5 good miles. My body handled it pretty well and I was happy with the way it seems to have maintained itself over the past couple of weeks.

I tried on a pair of Size 6 pants and still fit comfortably in them, as well. Apparently, this soft, mushy food diet that I've been on must be good for the waistline. Except, of course, for the ice cream.

I put together a couple of slideshows of photos I've taken over the past few weeks. I put one of them from over Easter weekend onto Facebook but for some reason the music ends near the middle of the song. And, I made it a "Medium" version but that's ok.

It was beautiful. I wish the photos did it justice.



I only expect to be home here for a few days while I heal up a bit and get some strength back. And, I've got some things to take care of. Then, I'm going to unplug for a while. My writing has been a helpful source of catharsis in recent weeks but there's also a need for quiet time. I feel some quiet time coming on.

It's odd how you see things that put other things into perspective. Tonight was the last episode of the HBO mini-series "Pacific" and they spent the last 20 minutes providing updates on the characters we've come to know as we've watched the weeks of hell that was the Pacific theater of WW2. Each week has been pretty intense. Courage has new meaning seeing even these fictionalized versions of what these "kids" - most of them were under 20 at the time - endured. It puts other things into a much clearer perspective.

I remember watching the last episode of "Band of Brothers", a similar kind of thing about the European theater, while sitting in my living room back in Austin several years ago. I was crying - something about the music finally put me over the edge. This time I'm not that fragile but it's still pretty amazing stuff.

I was talking with a friend tonight who watches "Gilmore Girls" with her daughters. Is that the kind of stuff I watch? No. I suppose that says something about my personality. I'm just not quite sure what....

In case anyone wants to watch - they're planning to replay all ten parts over Memorial Day weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the willpower challenged among us (like me) you can now buy single-serving cups of Haagen Daaz at your grocery store...spoon included! ;)

Stace said...

Ahhh, Hagen Daaz. Is there anything as good as a pint of Bailey's Ice Cream?

I don't have the will power, so I leave it in the shop and just look longingly at it..

Haahhhhh,
Stace

Gwen said...

If it helps, I just got back from doing minor grocery shopping and noticed in the freezer that they are selling Haagen Dasz in those tiny cups (like the Good Humor Man used to sell to kids). Cost is about 6x that of a pint, but if you want to keep your intake down, ...