Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Ghost of a Chance

I went to the doctor today. I had a number of things to discuss. My doctor here has been my doctor since pre Donna Day 1 so he's seen me at my best and at my worst. We've got history.

Anyway, basic "measurements" were good. BP was exactly where I wanted it: 120/80. Weight was consistent - I had gained almost 10 much-needed pounds in the week between the wrestling weigh-in and my surgery. I've lost those same 10 pounds since then so I'm skinny again. And, some of the blood "anomalies" that I was concerned about don't seem to be that big of a deal. Apparently, lots of it is tied in with being dehydrated which - duh - is part of wrestling.

I've had a number of interesting experiences today. For example, today was my first day back for a visit to the wrestling center where I trained for the Nationals since my jaw procedure. I can't say enough good things about the people there. I was just there for a visit but it was a little emotional.

I've pretty much made up my mind to compete at the US World Team Trials in Iowa next month. That's a tournament you need to qualify for in order to enter, and my #6 finish at the Nationals qualifies me to participate. I need things to focus on at the moment and this is a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing so I'll focus on not getting my ass kicked too badly.

As preparation I'm also planning to participate in a weekend of workshops and a tournament in San Francisco over Memorial Day weekend. It's a great group of guys that helped me get ready for the Gay Games in 2006 and it'll be nice to see the "gang" again.

If I do this what I really need is a headgear. Or. more specifically, something resembling a football helmet, or a hockey goalie mask. I'm not a hat person but my jaw isn't ready for a hard cross-face or a clumsy knee to it yet. They do have face-masks and although they're certainly not attractive I'm not above wearing one. It'll be almost like WWF. Hmmmmm. Perhaps I have a future there.

Iowa is to wrestling as the Taj Majal is to buildings, or the Grand Canyon is to gorges. It's crazy there - almost like a religion - and I'm actually looking forward to seeing it for myself. Of course, things could get "interesting" for me, specifically, but that's just the way it goes. The best part of my experience in Ohio was having Chloe and a friendly group of faces there so I wasn't all alone. I'll hope for similar support in Iowa but will be ready to go it alone if I have to.

Wrestlers are unique animals. I've said in the past and I said it again tonight - I wouldn't be who or what I am without the physical and mental toughness I learned the hard way on that mat all those years ago.



That's me doing a single-leg - 1979

And although people can make all kinds of judgements about it the fact of the matter is that it's part of me that I still enjoy. Surgery didn't remove it. The difference between then and now, though, is that my biggest barrier isn't an opposing wrestler. It's my own heart, and body, and mind. And, although it sounds odd to admit as the oldest athlete there - my inexperience.

There's a movie coming out about wrestling. I wish I could embed the trailer here but you'll have to go to their website to see it if you want. That's the kind of wrestling I remember.

Changing gears a bit, a back-stage movie about one of my all-time favorite bands - Rush - won the audience award at Tribeca. It's called Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage and I can't wait to see it. Rush is another of those things I've never outgrown. The first time I saw them live was 1978 and I've seen them at least a dozen times over the years.




So Cool.

One of the reasons I've always loved the band, beyond the fact that they're just bad-ass musicians (I can't believe all that sound comes from just 3 people) is the connection I've always felt with their lyrics. I've got a number of their songs on my Inspirational web page. One of my favorites there is Time Stand Still:
I turn my back to the wind
To catch my breath
Before I start off again.
Driven on without a moment to spend
To pass an evening with a drink and a friend

I let my skin get too thin
I'd like to pause
No matter what I pretend
Like some pilgrim
Who learns to transcend
Learns to live as if each step was the end

Their lyrics seem to resonate most in their live performances, especially if you close your eyes and let them soak in:




One more that I've always loved - Ghost of a Chance. It seems appropriate given my earlier comment about competing at the World Team Trials:



And for the drummers among us - do you see that drum set?? Are you kidding me?? Oy.

Anyway. Rush. Onwards....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Donna -
Best to you in your upcoming competitions and at "Boot Camp" in San Francisco. Thanks for the "Rush" links - music is something that help fill us with meaning, purpose and emotions... (oh, that's another blog).
Best,
Gretchen