Sunday, May 2, 2010

Hurting

From Sunday:

Yesterday I was more swollen than anything. Today, it hurts. AND, I'm swollen, too. It feels like my chin is gonna explode at any minute.

Getting cut in the mouth is different than other kinds of incisions. I was cut along the base of my entire lower jaw and even as of now I've been afraid to investigate it all with my tongue. What I do know is that it's all very sore, as are the muscles in my cheeks. And, with the "discomfort" comes general fatigue, sleepiness, slugishness, and an overall crummy feeling. I've been experiencing all of them today.

There have been some highlights. Thanks to some friends for stopping by to raise my spirits. Although I'm sorry I wasn't up to talking more know that your efforts were much appreciated. I also had some Hagen Daaz vanilla ice cream - when you're banished to a mushy, soft diet that's pretty much like striking gold. Yum. I also got my hair washed. That turns into quite the wet ordeal that involved wading boots, a wetsuit, and any number of other implements (you'd have to see it to know what I mean) but there's something medicinal about a good hair washing.

And, of course, there was the early morning stroll down the street to Martha Brothers for coffee. THAT set the tone for the rest of the day.

Here are a couple of photos from the last couple of days. The first is from my day in the hospital:





Here's a shot from Martha Brothers this morning:



This has been anything but fun.

In a few minutes I'll down my cocktail of Percocet, Valium, and antibiotic. Hopefully, some number of hours of sleep will be close behind.

Just as these times of "need" are often reminders of how much we need the support of friends - if even simply to check to see how we're doing - so too does it provide opportunities for disappointment for those who aren't there. Despite my druggy haze I'll remember what has and hasn't happened over the past few days - people who were there for me and people who weren't - both good and bad. It will lead to some changes as there are significant relationships in my world where I simply get tired of being the one giving all the time. Needless to say - having extra healing time provides ample opportunity for reassessment, as well.

The biggest question on the table these days is, "What comes next for Donna?". I really don't know. I have some ideas as to what I'd like to see happen but in terms of actual events or opportunities I don't know what that is. If you'd like to visit for some personal Donna-Time I'm sure that can be arranged. And, I want to be sure to support the always wonderful Maria when it comes to Electrolysis, laser, and hair removal in general. I am investigating creative opportunities and I'm hopeful for the future.

Stay tuned for more. And, get ready for change.




\\




3 comments:

Wendy said...

Ooooh, that looks so painful. Hope you heal quickly and the pain subsides. All the best to you. You've been an inspiration to me with all you've accomplished and endured.

Hugs,
Wendy

Caroline said...

What on earth have you had done?

Caroline xxx

Barbara said...

I hate to say this but you look like you wrestled someone really big and lost!:(

I get chills thinking of the pain.
I hope you feel better soon.

Barbara