Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Low Tide

It's a beautiful autumn morning here in Raleigh.  It was in the low 50's this morning as I walked from my hotel to my truck....bright blue sunny skies, crisp clean air, very very pleasant.  The only complaint in that entire picture is the hotel thing....getting old.  Actually, it got old a while ago.  But to at least some degree my life as a vagabond ends next week.

I did a little video with my iPhone this morning.



As usual - nothing profound.  It seems that most of the videos I make happen in a vehicle lately.  Not surprisingly, most phone conversations happen there too.

I was totally wiped last night.  Drained.  Getting up at 4am driving 4+ hours before working 10 hours probably had something to do with it.  But physically, emotionally, and in all ways that matter last night was low tide.  I needed some rest, and thankfully I got some.

One thing I'll admit (changing subjects) - I've become addicted to Chipotle Burrito Bowls.  The combination of rice, spiced meat, salsa, cheese, and sour cream is something I could eat 4 days a week.  For someone who has been traveling as much as I have finding what I consider to be healthy, inexpensive options is a must.  Anyway - I'm liking 'em right now.

I received a nice note from the National Labor Relations Board in DC regarding the training event a couple of weeks ago.  I've got a DVD of it, as well, and I'm glad organizations are making these kinds of things available to broader audiences who aren't able to attend for one reason or another.  




I've talked about trans "stuff" for a number of years now and it's still something I enjoy.  I suppose it's part of my "balance" - I wouldn't want to be totally immersed in it but at the same time in my day to day world (other than here) I don't talk about it or have to think much about it.  If I had my druthers I'd do one of them a month but I don't actively go out and look for them.  At this point it's generally word of mouth.

Over the years people within the community have contacted me about how to get started doing these kinds of things and how to approach them.  Michele Angello and I used to give a workshop at SCC titled "Talking Trans" specifically about doing presentations.  The one thing I've found is that it's important to be able to "connect" with people and I seem to be able to do that.

My next event will be for Hallmark Cards in St. Louis early next month.

Anyways....onwards and upwards.  Work today.  3 hour drive this evening.  Tonight in another hotel.  Tomorrow.....well...we'll see how that plays out.

3 comments:

Sophie Lynne said...

Wow!

Great letter!

That DVD could eaily be used in future "how to" presentations.


Like you need more work. ;)

Gwen said...

1) I second Sophie's comment
2) I hope you don't leave that stuff in the truck while it's parked. It's an Invite to burglars (and wanna be's) to break the vehicle (or at least the windows) and take/fence what they can get
BTDT

Unknown said...

Can you please do a session for everyone I know or may ever come into contact with to save me the time in explaining to them? Many thanks :)

Amie x