Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The moment

I didn't watch a minute of football Sunday.  Honestly.  I was too busy doing other "stuff" and it just didn't fit into the day.  But last night - Monday Night Football.  And I watched.

It was a long day.  I woke up in Charleston, took care of some things there, drove the 4 1/2 hours to Raleigh, and was at work until 7:30.  It's not a complaint - just a long day.

I have a rental car for the week while my truck is in the body shop.  It's a 2013 Camaro, a very sexy car.  I'll have to admit that I'm having fun driving it - it's a big difference from my truck.

I uploaded a couple of photos from the weekend to my Snaplog.

Part of getting through life one day at a time isn't necessarily finding answers to difficult questions or even taking action.  It's coming to peace with your situation.  I've learned the hard way that it's easy to mistake thrashing for positive action.  I've also learned to sleep on difficult decisions because I've made more than my fair share of emotional, passion-of-the-moment choices.

Regardless, it'd be nice if there were some kind of connect-the-dots, step-by-step process to make the "right" decision.  The problem is...I'd argue that there is rarely ever one right decision.  In fact, there are probably many "wrong" decisions but the paralysis that waiting for all the information to make decisions is often more of a delay tactic than anything constructive.

If I write another book the process of decision making would be part of it.  I'm no decision "expert", as I don't think anyone can claim to be, but I still find it a fascinating process.  As I've admitted here more than once, I have no problem at all making decisions.  It's making "good" decisions that I sometimes struggle with.

The thing that's different now is that I actually seek input on some of the more difficult ones.  I've talked with a couple of my most trusted "advisors" more than once in recent weeks, and I suspect we'll be continuing to talk for a while as things continue to play out.

But for now - things are calm.  It's just a moment, but for those who can live in the moment...that's a good thing.

My niece has been posting various photos from her wedding on FB.  There are several of me.  There's one in particular that I like.  I don't know why.  Maybe it was just the moment....




No comments: